jennygreenjones
Level 1: Cadet

PAID EMAIL

I no longer use my home phone and have changed providers for home internet service from Telstra to Belong. Question is - can I still keep my @bigpond email account?

I read that there was a paid email service with Telstra but no sure if this is still going and if so not sure how to set it up

Thanks 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: PAID EMAIL

Did you 'port' your internet from Telstra to Belong (change providers without cancelling the Telstra service yourself) or did you cancel at Telstra then sign up at Belong? In which case Belong will have arranged the cancellation.

Once the Telstra service is cancelled, your email account will be cancelled as well UNLESS you asked to keep it. If it was kept it will only be valid for 12 months from cancellation anway.

There are much better email providers on the market than Telstra, and they might be free. Try GMail, Outlook.co (Microsoft) or any of the available options. That will prove to be more reliable and portable, over time. If you do it now, you can start redirecting email to the Bigpond/Telstra address now, by adding a note to your Bigpond/Telstra account signature, or a bulk email to your contacts (be careful with that because Telstra might see it as spam).

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
jennygreenjones

Thank you for your information

I haven't actually cancelled it with Telstra as yet, but from what you are saying when I do I can request to keep the email address? even if it only for a year - I can then phase it out

SteveW_52

So you have still got the Telstra service AND a Belong service.. how many connection points do you have? or does the Belong service come in on the same cable that Telstra did?

If you have two services registered to the address, that might cause some issues when you cancel Telstra!

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Do you by any chance have a mobile phone service with Telstra?.

jennygreenjones

I have one point and I still have Telstra connected at this point. I have just received the Belong modem but havent hooked it up as yet.

Telstra used to run a service called Paid Email - but not sure if it still exists

jennygreenjones

I have a mobile and I also have a Ipad with a telstra data sim card in it

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Telstra Mail is tied to Home Broadband Services. They got rid of the paid option in September 2020.

If you want to keep your email, you will need to let Telstra know pronto, as once Belong processes the porting, that is the end of your email account.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dowser

I do know an ex Telstra Broadband customer that kept a mobile service (on the same account) active, and their Telstra Mail account similarly remained active.

Considering Telstra’s attitude to Telstra Mail though, my advice would be for you to request the aforementioned 12 month account preservation request and use that time to join a different email provider.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit