Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Porting VoIP number to new RSP

Answered

Hi,

Currently with Telstra for both NBN and VoIP.  I am transferring both to a new RSP.  Telstra has told me that I cannot keep my VoIP number active with them after the transfer of NBN and so I may lose the number. What can I do to make sure I don't lose the VoIP number?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Porting VoIP number to new RSP

You should be able to port your number across to the  new RSP. Tell the  new RSP that you wish to port your number accros.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You should be able to port your number across to the  new RSP. Tell the  new RSP that you wish to port your number accros.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Yes, I have instructed them that I wish to port the number, however I requested Telstra to keep the number active post my nbn transfer from Telstra, and was told that Telstra does not do that anymore. 

Highlighted

Your new RSP should arrange the disconnection from Telstra so that you get disconnected almost at the same time as you connect to new RSP. It is only a matter of a programming change by NBN Co, Telstra and your new ISP. There is no change in hardware. See link below on how to port number.

https://www.acma.gov.au/keep-or-transfer-your-phone-number#transfer-your-number-to-someone-else

"How to port your number

Your telco must port your number to another telco if you ask them to. But a telco does not have to accept a ported number.

Before you choose a new telco, check whether they will accept a ported number.

You do not need a new phone to port your number. Usually for a mobile number you need a new SIM card.

To port your number, ask your new telco. They should contact your current telco to start the port.

Your new telco must also verify that you have requested the port. No port can proceed without the telco undertaking additional identity checks.

It usually takes 3 hours to port a mobile number. Landline numbers can take longer.

Your new telco should tell you when the port is complete."

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

@Reikioz wrote:

Yes, I have instructed them that I wish to port the number, however I requested Telstra to keep the number active post my nbn transfer from Telstra, and was told that Telstra does not do that anymore. 

Hi @Reikioz 

Leaving your number with Telstra would be too expensive anyway, as just the phone component with Telstra isn't cheap by any means.

Home phone plans haven't caught up with the NBN technology imho.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit