Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Smart Modem Gen 2 phone light is off

Hello, 

I have a Smart Modem Gen 2, and would like to use an analogue phone with it. However, the phone light is OFF. What next?

Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Smart Modem Gen 2 phone light is off

The phone light will only be on if you have a NBN connection, on non NBN connections the modem’s PSTN port must be connected to an active wall phone socket.

If you have a NBN connection you could try factory resetting the modem by pressing the the reset button for at least 10 seconds while modem is powered on. Reset button is located on back off modem near LAN port 2. If that doesn’t work suggest you ring support as modem is either faulty or your connection has not been configured correctly.

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm on the NBN! Telstra sent out the modem and a cable adapter. How can I check?

Highlighted

If Telstra sent out a grey Netgear cable adapter then you are connected to Telstra Cable and not to NBN. With NBN the Netgear cable adapter is replaced with a black Arris NBN modem. The phone light will only turn green on a Telstra cable connection if the modem's PSTN port is connected to a active Telephone socket.

Highlighted

Ah, OK. I just logged into our Telstra account and you're quite right. Well why did they send me all of this stuff, then? I thought the whole purpose was to transition off cable and onto NBN.

Highlighted

They probably sent you the Smart Modem so that you would be ready to transition to the NBN when it becomes available.

Highlighted

They also e-mailed to say "Connecting is as simple as plugging in the Kit we sent you". Well, I've done that... and I thought I went through some sort of process online to register / set up the new equipment, too. Anyway, I'll review the set up process and see what I can find out.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit