Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra ADSL landline affected but NOT internet nor Pay TV?

Answered

I want to add a further layer of ID security on my Telstra account as I strongly suspect someone disconnected my home phone as probably knowing all the usual answers to questions that Telstra staff are most likely to ask to identify me.  Most people do NOT know the account number and do not know specifically which of our household's name the account is under either.  I wonder if Telstra would be able to allow me to add some sort of password or similar to my account as added protection against account interference

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra ADSL landline affected but NOT internet nor Pay TV?

Weirdly first of all the home phone worked fine for weeks or more, then there was interference like crackling and the voices at the other end were barely audible to me and my hearing is good.  So a technician attended on Saturday just gone, said the line was okay and replace some sort of cable (so he says) from in the street? He said there would be no dial tone for 15 minutes when he would have it connected back to the exchange and would call me then.  It seemed okay Saturday by 10am.  Hardly any calls needed or made Sunday and Monday and then bang no dial tone on phone, unable to make and receive calls whatsoever today.  Reported this fault via my mobile and  online.  Within 5 hours or more of the phone call, magically the landline seemed to work for outgoing calls etc?  I didn't change a thing!  ADSL internet mostly okay with occasional outage.  So what could cause such a dramatic turn of events with the darn landline (as far as using the line goes for calls)!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Reply number two.  Unfortunately NONE of our mobiles in this adult household are Telstra mobiles!  But neither was our mobiles associated with iiNet previously but THEY managed to verify who I was on my non iiNet mobile phone each time, which was VERY reassuring indeed.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Hi @Simstar-108 

If you have a mobile number associated with your account then when you speak to Telstra they will send an SMS code to verify you are the account holder before proceeding any further.

Your phone won't be disconnected but will be due to a technical issue. You can't have ADSL without a phone line, and all Telstra plans come with a home phone plan anyway.

Plus, during this COVID-19 virus, all PTSN porting/transfers are on hold.

You will need to talk to technical support to report a line fault issue.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Weirdly first of all the home phone worked fine for weeks or more, then there was interference like crackling and the voices at the other end were barely audible to me and my hearing is good.  So a technician attended on Saturday just gone, said the line was okay and replace some sort of cable (so he says) from in the street? He said there would be no dial tone for 15 minutes when he would have it connected back to the exchange and would call me then.  It seemed okay Saturday by 10am.  Hardly any calls needed or made Sunday and Monday and then bang no dial tone on phone, unable to make and receive calls whatsoever today.  Reported this fault via my mobile and  online.  Within 5 hours or more of the phone call, magically the landline seemed to work for outgoing calls etc?  I didn't change a thing!  ADSL internet mostly okay with occasional outage.  So what could cause such a dramatic turn of events with the darn landline (as far as using the line goes for calls)!

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Reply number two.  Unfortunately NONE of our mobiles in this adult household are Telstra mobiles!  But neither was our mobiles associated with iiNet previously but THEY managed to verify who I was on my non iiNet mobile phone each time, which was VERY reassuring indeed.

Highlighted

@Simstar-108 wrote:

Hi @Simstar-108 

Yes, you don't have to have your mobile with Telstra for verification, they only need a number associated with your account to verify you on via SMS.

When you start hearing crackling on your landline then that indicates a fault and usually can cause your internet to drop-out as well. The fault can also be anywhere from your home and up and including the exchange, so you may not see anyone. But they should send an email or SMS that the fault has been repaired.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted

Well yes there has been SMSes to acknowledge problems and when they FEEL the problems ought to be resolved but then if it isn't wants me to call their call centre about it!  They don't offer nor send SMSes to that same known mobile phone number to identify me as the account holder even though obviously the number is known to them.  The phone mobile phone number isn't a Telstra  one but I think when I next call them up I will INSIST on an SMS verification of identity when dealing with them in future as iiNet used to do.

@Ozmoz wrote:

@Simstar-108 wrote:

Hi @Simstar-108 

"Yes, you don't have to have your mobile with Telstra for verification, they only need a number associated with your account to verify you on via SMS."

When you start hearing crackling on your landline then that indicates a fault and usually can cause your internet to drop-out as well. The fault can also be anywhere from your home and up and including the exchange, so you may not see anyone. But they should send an email or SMS that the fault has been repaired.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit