Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Call Guardian 301 Problem

Answered

Hello Telstra support community,

I have just recently bought and installed a Telstra Call Guardian 301 MKII Cordless Phone With answering machine at my parents place so that we can stop the nuisance calls coming through. My parents have the Telstra NBN smart modem Gen 2 and I have successfully installed the Call Guardian and managed to get the phone working in terms of the call screening and blocking. However I have run into problems with the messaging/answering machine service.

Using the Call Guardian setup I managed to record the outgoing message successfully and as per the setup manual I made sure that the Ans machine button is switched to on. I tested it was working by calling my parents number and the phone did go to a messaging service, played the outgoing message and allowed me to leave a message. However the call guardian did not display on the phone or the base station that my parents had a message waiting for them. After testing this a couple of times I realised that my parents account had Telstra Home Messagebank switched on so all messages were going to that and not the onboard call guardian message system.

So I switched off Home Messagebank, made sure that the Ans machine button was switched on and tried again. This time the Call Guardian onboard answering machine activated however it still didn't work properly and it did something weird; It would play the outgoing message on the base station only so that we could hear it in the room but not play it to the caller (it would simply hang up on the caller). I tested this 3 times and it did the same thing each time. I also tried turning the system off and on but it still did the same thing.

I would be happy to get either the Home Messagebank or the Call Guardian onboard answering machine working. Is there a way to have the home messagebank successfully show up on the call guardian that there is a message that has been left? (I'm guessing that the call guardian is blocking this message feature from coming through?)

Or is there a way to get the Call Guardian onboard answering machine working properly? (I'm guessing that the fact this machine is plugged into the NBN modem has something to do with the fact the onboard answering machine can't send the voice message back through the line?)

Does anyone have any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Call Guardian 301 Problem

Hi - not sure if this may assist. It may be that the two forms of answering services are conflicting with each other or you are unlucky and have an issue with the system.

Was there an extended period between the time you switched OFF Telstra Home Message Bank in your parents account page and when you tested the function - the change may not be immediate. Sometimes a power reset the modem helps to confirm any network change made so that the modem re-aligns to the change made. I was asked to power reset my modem when a Telstra Call Centre Agent partially deactivated my Message Bank ( my answering machine traps all calls after 3 rings and I only get notification from Telstra Message Bank if I am busy on another call now). 

The default timer for the CG301 MKII Answering Machine to cut in is 6 rings - it needs to be programmed for less rings than what the Telstra Message Bank timer is - if the caller is dropped out before an opportunity is available to leave a message, it may indicate that Message Bank is still active - maybe the modem power reset and timer check will fix this.

Answer Delay Page 49. 

Call Screening is ON by default - from the handset, if you wish to hear the caller's message as it is being recorded, are you using the Menu screen to select Listen?   Page 50 and 51. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi - not sure if this may assist. It may be that the two forms of answering services are conflicting with each other or you are unlucky and have an issue with the system.

Was there an extended period between the time you switched OFF Telstra Home Message Bank in your parents account page and when you tested the function - the change may not be immediate. Sometimes a power reset the modem helps to confirm any network change made so that the modem re-aligns to the change made. I was asked to power reset my modem when a Telstra Call Centre Agent partially deactivated my Message Bank ( my answering machine traps all calls after 3 rings and I only get notification from Telstra Message Bank if I am busy on another call now). 

The default timer for the CG301 MKII Answering Machine to cut in is 6 rings - it needs to be programmed for less rings than what the Telstra Message Bank timer is - if the caller is dropped out before an opportunity is available to leave a message, it may indicate that Message Bank is still active - maybe the modem power reset and timer check will fix this.

Answer Delay Page 49. 

Call Screening is ON by default - from the handset, if you wish to hear the caller's message as it is being recorded, are you using the Menu screen to select Listen?   Page 50 and 51. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Mkrtich,

Thanks for your suggestions! Good call in that the system must have needed more time between switching off the Home MessageBank to converting over to the onboard answering machine. I just called my parents before and the answering machine picked up after about 10 rings (had set it to 10 last night) and it gave me the voice message and allowed me to leave a message. Also my parents received a message notification and managed to play it back on the base unit. So all it needed was some time to sort itself out, the CG301 MKII now appears to be fully operational!

Thanks also for your suggestions regarding call screening. We have it on as default and we can hear the caller's message as it is being left. I might play around with some of these settings to make sure it's exactly how my parents want it.

Thanks again!

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit