lyneham
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra easy control corded desktop NEEDS MAINS POWER

Online Telstra shop shows this as no need to plug in  to power, just into the modem  so I ordered it - then I read the pdf which contradicts the words near the picture and says it needs mains power point, . so  right away I  cancelled it on the CHAT  ( no live people answer phones anymore)
- i lodged a complaint because the phone still arrived - and I lodged a complaint that  advertised feature NO NEED FOR POWER is WRONG ! It still advertised no need for mains power, and I am still waiting for a Return Satchel ! who can fix this issue in Telstra? How do I contact them

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra easy control corded desktop NEEDS MAINS POWER

I can understand your frustration.

My understanding is the phone will run off the battery pack, but of course then needs power to charge them. Useful in a power outage.

Not sure if you can use standard alkaline batteries instead of the battery pack, but changing those would probably result in loss of configuration.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

The website is wrong. The only handset that doesn't need mains power in the T1000S.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
lyneham

it says you have to be plugged into mains power  in the PDF and the leaflet in the box 

lyneham

no batteries in the box 

Jupiter

The battery may already be inserted in the phone. It is required to run the LCD screen. You can't use alkaline batteries as a substitute.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mkrtich

Hello everyone - unfortunately there is no internal battery in this phone despite what the user guide says - maybe from a variant used overseas. The moment you remove it from a power point it loses connection to the modem. Similar question was raised a year ago, so unless the factory has changed production it depends on a power point. Unbelievable that in these times, it has no back up power. 

SteveW_52

I have a friend that has this handset, no idea when he got it, but it definitely has a battery pack? So maybe a design change early in life. Typical Telstra, not having up to date, current, information on their web site.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Mkrtich

Hi Steve - This is the post from last year and acknowledge things may have changed with production after the problem surfaced in April 2020 or perhaps it was a faulty unit?. There was no removable lid or compartment for battery and I had assumed it may have been a rechargeable one inside. So in the case of your friend's phone, does it still work when disconnected from power or is it only the memory protected when power removed.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/home-phones/telstra-tsh-d/m-p/873556

SteveW_52

Next time I visit I will have a closer look and take some photos. I think the phone operated for a short while on batteries...

Stevo 52
lyneham

the battery pack is just a back up apparently - you need mains power -Telstra rang me re my complaint - but all she said she could do was ask someone to review what it says and the phone - so far people just read the speil but do not actually check it out with the real phone- i did and you plug into modem without mains power and nothing, no dial tone, nothing. I got a refund and am waiting on a return satchel. 

Mkrtich

Thanks for confirming your experience. I assume after 16 hours of pre-charging the phone, when you attempted to connect the handset to the modem, you meant 'paired' to the TSH-D to the modem instead of 'plug into modem'. Concerning that this handset appears still not to have a corrected user guide to reflect its dependence on a powered connection. 

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit