Brightman
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra Easy Control Cordless home phone won’t ring when a call comes in.

We are currently on our 4th Easy Control Cordless phone. None ring when a call comes in, but if you are watching when a call comes in you can answer it. All other features work, like we can ring out with no problems. We have rung Telstra Platinum support endlessly and no solution has been found. They keep sending us new phones because each is under warranty. We have followed all guidelines in the manual many many times. Another phone arrived today and this one still doesn’t work. We have a Telstra Smart Modem and press Pair on this after we register the phone, but still it doesn’t ring when a call comes in. The Dect Hub does not light up when a call comes in, so it seems like it is a connection error. But the line has been checked out and an NBN technician checked everything out on Monday and we still had a problem. He thought the problem was with the handset we had then. But the new one that has come still won’t ring when a call comes in. Can someone please help us! 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra Easy Control Cordless home phone won’t ring when a call comes in.

Not sure why you press pair on the modem, when you have a DECT hub as well. The pair button is for pairing a phone directly to the modem. If you have the DECT Hub plugged into the Green Phone port on the modem and have registered the phone to the hub, then that is all that is required to get it working.

On the phone's display, is there an icon of a crossed out musical note?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Brightman

Thanks for your reply. Yes we thought originally that it would connect automatically with the Hub, but it didn’t & the support person said to do that. No other icons show on the top of the phone except the battery icon and strength of signal icon.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

It would be useful to plug in a corded handset (not cordless) into the Phone port to confirm you are actually getting ring tone for incoming calls...  disconnect everything else..

You should use the Easy Control 'TEC C; model with the hub, for any Easy Control cordless handsets..  yes you can connect directly to the modem DECT service, but the TEC C hub allows multiple handsets to share common information.

I have set up several Easy Control handsets at different places, many with multiple handsets, and the handsets have always paired correctly to the hub, rather than the modem DECT, with the hub connected to modem phone port..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Brightman

Thanks for your reply.

When the NBN technician was here on Monday he did plug in a phone that wasn’t cordless and it did ring. But the cordless wouldn’t when he was here, so he said it must be the handset on the Easy Control cordless phone that should be the problem. But the two new ones we received today won’t ring when a call comes through. So we have 4 Easy Control cordless phones here at the moment and none ring when a call comes through!!! So something must be wrong with what we are doing even though we have tried to follow the directions in the manual & all the support personnel we have spoken to over the last month about this issue.
We have charged up our old home phone and it works, rings when someone rings us etc. It doesn’t have a hub. So at least we have a home phone that works now. But we would like to use one of these new Easy Control ones.

Our hub is connected to the modem with cord, with a green end, one into the hub and the other into the modem. When we reset the phones by taking the batteries out and then press register it comes up with “Searching” all the time. If we press the pairing button on the modem the “Searching” disappears. Otherwise it just continues “Searching”.

Dowser

So when a call comes in, there is no ringtone on your Easy Control phone, but to the caller it appears that the phone rings for a normal period - is this correct?.

SteveW_52

As the corded handset rings ok, and your old home phone, that would indicate the problem is somewhere in the new handsets.. possibly a setting..  I am assumming you have tried adjusting the ring tone volume? up and down, when you put the volume right down you should see the musical note with a line through it.  if you don't see that (as queried by @Jupiter ), then that might be a clue, the ring volume might be just right down rather than off.

Do you still have the Easy Control hub plugged into the modem, even though the handsets are paired to modem DECT? Probably better to not have it configured that way - disconnect and power it off.

do you have the User Guide

I am pretty sure that when setting up the handsets and base hub..  you power up the hub first (I do it with no connection to the modem) then basically put the batteries into the handset and it will find the hub - no buttons need to be pressed and definitely not on the modem..  so maybe the error in your procedure is that step - where you press 'register'? Once the handset connects to the hub then i connect the hub to the modem phone port.  When the handset is connected to the hub, it will prompt to set up the time and date on the handset.. It is very important to let the handset charge in the cradle for several hours, like overnight, before using it..  but you can do simple checks like incoming call ringing while the handset is in the cradle.

Have you received a replacement hub at any stage? Have you tried that and had the same results? The symptoms might indicate the hub is faulty, but I have never had that happen. 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
SteveW_52

Can you please confirm what devices you have..

Telstra Easy Control TEC-C with DECT Hub 

Telstra Easy Control TEC-A - Additional Handset 

Note that in the User Guide for the TEC-A, it recommends pairing to a TEC-C hub...

Stevo 52
Brightman

Yes that is correct. The calling number shows up and it will connect if you press the button. But we can’t hear it ringing.

Brightman

Thanks so much for reply. Yes we have received 4 new phones, hubs, cords etc from Telstra over the last month or so!! All with user guides, which are poorly explained & such small font size.

We don’t see the musical note when we put the volume up and down. The sound does go up & down when we change the volume settings. The Easy Control hub is connected to the modem. I have disconnected the hub from the modem but the phone still does not ring.

I will follow you suggestions about setting up the hub etc and see what happens.

Thanks again.

SteveW_52

Once you have the handsets coreectly connected to the hub, then the hub needs to be connected to the modem, for the incoming home phone line to be active on the handsets..

Are you definitely adjusting the RING volume when you you set it up and down

The links I sent you, are the User Guides in pDF form - you can save those on a PC or device and might be more readable..  don't get the TEC-C handset and base confused with the TEC-A because the connection method is different. Do the TEC-C first, with just one handset, then when that is working, add any additional handsets..  but you can only add TEC-A ones, I don't think you can have multiple TEC-C handsets/Hubs on the same system.

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Just to clarify..

You seem to have paired the handsets you have, directly to the modem. In that case, you should not have the TEC-C Hub connected as well..

If you have the Easy Control handsets (TEC-C or TEC-A) paired to the modem, you need to unpair them first.

Then setup one TEC-C handset and hub, I think the TEC-C handset and hubs are sold together and are a matched pair, so you need to be sure which ones you are using - if you have a still wrapped set, I would suggest using that set.

When that configuration is connected correctly, then connect the hub to the modem phone port...  and check that it works, including going through raising and lowering the RING volume...  after that is working, you can then add additional TEC-A handsets by pairing them to the hub (not the modem)..

Stevo 52
Brightman

It works!! We had the set up procedure wrong!! Thanks for your wonderful advice. We were charging the phone first and then installing the hub. But as the manual shows, the hub has to be set up first, then set up the batteries in the handset and it will link automatically without pressing pair etc. It needs to be be written in bold and highlighted that the hub needs to be set up first. It is shown as number 1 in the manual, but our automatic reaction was to charge the phone first!! A months worth of frustration solved in a few minutes!!
Thanks so much to responders who gave advice.

SteveW_52

And you get ringtone with incoming calls?

And you now have at least one spare, complete hub/handset   

I am not sure if you can pair additional TEC-C handsets to an existing hub - have never tried that, but I am sure the handsets are the same, so it will possibly work..  same procedure, insert the batteries and let the handset connect to the hub...  with the TEC-C Hub, the connected handsets share common Contact lists etc...

Stevo 52
Brightman

Thanks once again.
Yes it rings when someone phones and we can ring out too without a problem.
I think we will stick with the one handset at the moment! We now have 3 spares of handsets and hubs if anything goes wrong!!! Yes they are all the same.

Your help was much appreciated.

SteveW_52

Great outcome...  I agree that in general the current User Guides seem to be lacking a lot of things...

Stevo 52
Pogostick22
Level 2: Rookie

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit