SueP5
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Messagebank keys not functioning on a Uniden XDECT 8315 cordless phone.

I've just purchased a Uniden XDECT 8315 cordless phone. All is working as it should, including calling Messagebank. However when I'm in Messagebank none of the keys are functional. That is, if I press, 1 to listen, 3 to enter setup, 5 to delete the message etc etc.... nothing happens!

Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, is there a solution?
Any advice will be much appreciated!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Telstra Messagebank keys not functioning on a Uniden XDECT 8315 cordless phone.

Is your Uniden connected to the Phone port of your modem and using the Home Phone service that comes with the internet service?

There have been other reports of this happening. In some cases, a power cycle of the modem fixed it, other people have had to factory reset the modem to get a fix and still others had to contact Telstra for them to work some magic on the Home Phone service.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SueP5

Re: Telstra Messagebank keys not functioning on a Uniden XDECT 8315 cordless phone.

Thanks  Steve52  ... I'll try resetting the modem and see what happens. Yes, it is connected to the phone port on the modem - and all other functions work as they should. I've tried the keypad choices with a couple of other calls (eg phone banking) and they work fine. No response from keypad options seems to occur only after dialling in to Messagebank. Smiley Sad

I've left a support ticket with Uniden to see if they have any answers - and have tried getting in touch with Telstra - but that's a whole other issue. Smiley Wink  Haven't been able to get through to get a response yet - with the phone or their 24/7 app. [sigh]. Will keep trying. Smiley Happy

SteveW_52

Aah, OK. If it works on phone banking and other post dial call navication, then that might be just a problem with Messagebank. Painful as it is, you might need to persevere with Telstra, although last time it was very hard to get the support people to actually understand the issue.

Previously reported issues affected other things like door/gate controllers etc. and testing between a home phone and a mobile the key presses worked from the mobile to homephone, but not the other way round (no tones, just clicks heard)...

I just tested on my home phone and it worked OK with Messagebank. Try the modem reset and see how it goes. 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
SueP5

Thank you! And painful indeed with Telstra ... Smiley Happy ...

Modem reset didn't work sadly. I cracked it yesterday - almost went back to plugging in my old phone instead. Smiley Wink But I shall persevere with Telstra and see if I can get a response. 

SteveW_52

Is the Uniden phone new? and the old phone worked OK?

Trying the old phone again might help determine if it is a Uniden problem or a Messagebank problem..

Stevo 52
SueP5

Thank you - I'll try that too, although I've deleted all the data and packed up the old phones. Smiley Happy  The Uniden is a new phone - and until I switched, the old phones were working fine with Messagebank as well. So I am fairly sure it must be a Telstra issue ... But I'll unpack the old ones again and give them another try to be absolutely sure. Hectic day today, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow to test. Which means contacting Telstra again will probably have to wait until after that. Not super urgent really I suppose - I usually use my mobile these days (and am getting only a few calls on the landline at the moment). And until I can get this issue fixed I won't try pairing the mobile with the Uniden handsets. Smiley Happy

SteveW_52

Just try on of the old ones, no need to set it up fully, just dial 101 and if you get to message bank see it you can set up the mailbox (but don't actually make changes, I think if there are no messages, you press 3 to setup mailbox..  that is as far as you need to go..

The other thing you can try on the modem is a factory reset - there is a recessed button on the back of the modem between the sim card / LAN port 2. With the modem on, use a straightened out paper clip or similar to press the inner button for 15 secs or so, until all the modem light go out, then let it go and allow the modem to power up again to a steady green indicator on the front.

Stevo 52
SueP5

YAY!!!! It's solved. FINALLY got through to Telstra - apparently the solution was that they needed to  reconfigure/update some NBN settings before restarting the modem. The tech had to do the service update at their end.

So, for the record ... if anyone else has the same issue (i.e. menu option keystrokes not working, but only when in Telstra Messagebank and ok with other calls) the solution appears to be that you need to call Telstra tech support and ask for their NBN team.

Hope this can help someone else .... Smiley Happy

SteveW_52

That was the case in previus instances of similar problems, different fixes for different people.

Glad it is fixed...

Stevo 52

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit