lint2015
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra NBN landline rings for only 5 seconds

Answered

We've been having an issue with our landline, for some reason it's decided to only ring for five seconds before sending the call to MessageBank, leaving no time to answer any calls.

The equipment we have are:

Router - Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

DECT Phones - Telstra T-Voice 503

I have tried extending the number of rings by dialing *9955# to set it to 55 seconds, but it has no effect on the number of rings.

I have also tried disabling MessageBank by dialing #99#, but it still only rings for five seconds before the caller gets a busy tone (rather than sending them to MessageBank).

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lint2015
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra NBN landline rings for only 5 seconds

Hi all, thanks for your replies.

Dowser - yes, no combination of seconds in 5 sec increments put into *99__# did anything, despite having the indication that the change was accepted.

cf4 - yes, there is a regular analogue phone connected to the green Phone port. It wasn't the culprit though as the issue persisted even with that unplugged.

I've since resolved the issue though. For anyone else who might run into this problem, the issue for me was the DECT phones. Although I didn't find any settings on them to set time to ring, as soon as I unregistered all the DECT phones, it would ring for the time I specified when dialing *99__#. I then re-registered them one at a time and it has continued to respect the correct time to ring for.

Solution: Unregister the DECT phones from the router, test if the problem is fixed, then register them again, one at a time, each time testing that the problem does not reoccur.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Dowser
Level 20: Director

Try setting the ring time to 30 seconds by dialling *9930# and listen for a few seconds to hear if you get indication that the change was accepted.

Then test it.

If that does not work then you will have to contact Telstra Support.

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Do you have anything connected to modem's PSTN or green phone port?

lint2015
Accepted Solution

Hi all, thanks for your replies.

Dowser - yes, no combination of seconds in 5 sec increments put into *99__# did anything, despite having the indication that the change was accepted.

cf4 - yes, there is a regular analogue phone connected to the green Phone port. It wasn't the culprit though as the issue persisted even with that unplugged.

I've since resolved the issue though. For anyone else who might run into this problem, the issue for me was the DECT phones. Although I didn't find any settings on them to set time to ring, as soon as I unregistered all the DECT phones, it would ring for the time I specified when dialing *99__#. I then re-registered them one at a time and it has continued to respect the correct time to ring for.

Solution: Unregister the DECT phones from the router, test if the problem is fixed, then register them again, one at a time, each time testing that the problem does not reoccur.

View solution in original post

Dowser

Thanks for informing of resolution.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit