DodgyDave
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Handset - Cordless randomly disconnects

The problem is I can be on the phone having a conversation when the Telstra Smart Handset suddenly disconnects from the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2. The only way to reconnect is to power cycle the modem. I am in the same room as the modem , so it is not a distance thing. It is very annoying

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra Smart Handset - Cordless randomly disconnects

Firstly, make sure that your modem and handset have the latest firmware.

Secondly, the user guide mentions an Eco+ mode, which modifies the transmission power method.  Turn this off & see if it helps.

Mkrtich

Hi - has this suddenly occurred after normal use or is it a new TSH-C phone?  Do you have a wired telephone that you could connect to the modem to compare the experience . This may assist you to determine if it is the modem or the TSH-C causing the problem.

How often does this occur and does it happen to the same calling party - on every conversation over 10 minutes or occasionally independent on the length of the call? The modem will seek re-registration with the external Telstra VoIP Server every 10 minutes and these check connections can be seen in the modem's Event Log records. If it happens occasionally, it may be a random event due to lost VoIP data packets in the Telstra Network at either your end, the path in between you and the called party or the person you are communicating with. 

When the call disconnects, does the handset display still show the identity number of the handset e.g. Handset 1. Can you page the handset from the modem either by using the Pair button on the rear of the modem - depending on your modem model, it may also be possible to page the handset from the modem's GUI's Telephony page screen or the Pair button.

If you can, it means that the handset is still registered to the DECT CATiq2.0 Controller inside the modem. If you can't, can you try to re-register the handset by pairing it through the Telephony screen.  

If it continues persistently, suggest you contact Telstra to report the problem - the modem's DECT function or the TSH-C handset may be faulty.

DodgyDave

thanks.  yes the handsets as i have 4 all have the latest firmware, i will try the Eco+

DodgyDave

the 4 handsets have don't need re pairing, as they remain connected to voip.  they drop out randomly.   just lately after 3 minutes during a conversation.  it doesn't who we are calling or who calls us.  i don't have a wired handset to test with.  the modem logs are not helpful

Mkrtich

Thanks. What is the modem model you have, the firmware version and the type of Internet Service you are connected to - Telstra ADSL or NBN Type. Is randomly, once a month or weekly or daily? Before a drop out occurs, are conversations interrupted by periods of silence which distort speech or do you experience a sudden cut off during a normal conversation where both parties can hear well.  

If you have the Arcadyan version, it has a Call Log Page in the Telephony section which shows VoIP Packet Loss and Jitter statistics per call which my indicate the health of each call connection.  The highest Jitter on my successful calls from a T-Voice 503, the predecessor to the TSH-C with same engine, was 172 and 0 Packet loss on all calls - I am on NBN HFC. I have experienced one way conversation on two occasions over 30 months and a modem Reset fixed that.  Unfortunately the Technicolor version doesn't show the same information as the Arcadyan. The modem's Event Log shows regular Re-Registration to the Telstra's VoIP Server every 10 minutes.

On Arcadyan, if the handsets remain registered to the modem after call drop out and you get no dial tone when you press the Green handset button, instead of Resetting the modem, have you tried to 'Refresh' in the Telephony screen. If that doesn't resurrect Dial Tone, can you Delete the handset within the modem's Telephony screen than Add it back IN through the screen instead of using the Pair Button. Can you borrow a wired phone from someone to see if the problem also happens using it - that will assist Telstra to diagnose the problem. 

DodgyDave

Thanks for your reply but to be honest these are the most useless handsets I have ever had.  You can't hold a long conversation with anyone. What is the point of wireless if it drops out.  This has been a problem since I got them.  Repairing doesn't fix the issue, I have also tried all the other tricks from other responses.  The handsets have the latest firmware.  I don't have a wired phone that I can use, but that is exactly the point of having wireless.  Telstra support is of no use, because the logs don't show any issue

Mkrtich

Understood. There comes a time when one's patience is exhausted and the best action is to replace the technology.

I have read good reports on Gigaset SIP CATiq 2.0 handsets and any well known brand of  DECT GAP cordless phone system with an Answering Machine and Call Blocking function can be connected to the Phone port of the modem with a telephone cable. I have my old 12 year old cordless phone system linked to my Arcadyan this way and also have T-Voice 502 and 503 handsets paired directly to the modem.

Unfortunately I am not a fan of the Telstra Call Guardian 301 Mark II due to its small form factor, low quality construction and display but if a cheap Call Blocking feature is required, it does the job. A lot of phones are produced for price point reasons rather than quality - it comes down to personal choice. There are a lot of YouTube reviews which will give you a reasonable idea of a suitable replacement.

The only other thing I can think of is to replace the modem to see if the phones remain connected. There are available on Gumtree in new and unused condition for under $50.

Thank you for your feedback.   

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit