CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Handset Cordless TSH-C User Manual

The Telstra Smart Handset Cordless (model TSH-C) comes with a Quick Start Guide which states the User Manual is available at:   www.telstra.com.au/Home-phone

This web page only has a link to a PDF copy of the same Quick Start Guide that came in the box, but no link to the User Manual. The Quick Start Guide includes instructions to register the Smart Handset with the Smart Modem, but doesn't explain the most basic operation . . . how do I make a phone call, and why is there no dial tone?

Here's a link to the list of Telstra Home Phone User Guides:

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/home-phone/user-guides/homephone-userguides

Note that few of the current models are included in this list of User Guides.

Can someone please provide me with a link to the TSH-C User Manual ?

Not the Quick Start Guide:

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/home-phone/pdf/TSH-C-QSG.pdf

Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Re: Telstra Smart Handset Cordless TSH-C User Manual

Hi - I believe this phone is made by SGW Global, China  - model CD1HD under a licensed agreement with Motorola to use their name and resold by Telstra in Australia. 

http://www.sgwglobal.com/portfolio/our-products/ip-next-gen-voice/hd-voice/cd1-hd

I have downloaded their user guide from a Chinese web site

https://cdn.competec.ch/documents/6/5/659618/EN_Manual_CD1HD.pdf

Do you have dial tone on the Phone Port of your modem using a standard landline phone and can make and receive calls? Do you have no dial tone after you have paired the TSH-C phone to the Modem by doing press PAIR button on Modem, follow screens on phone to Register the phone to the modem, if required password 0000. One difference using the new phone is that you will not hear any DTMF tones when the phone is sending digits to line as this information is now sent out over your Internet link to Telstra.  

Highlighted

My apology - I have incorrectly referenced the Telstra T-Voice 503 instead of the Telstra TSH-C in the above post. Will look for the correct user guide and post when found.

The Telstra TSH-C looks like it is also made by SGW Global who make the Alexa driven Telstra Voice Control-Cordless, TVC-C which is marketed under an alternative Motorola branding. 

Highlighted

At the risk of complicating matters further, in case this assists as an interim measure until a formal TSH-C User Guide is discovered, the predecessor to the Telstra TSH-C was the Telstra T-Voice 503. It has the same key layout as the TSH-C with the exception of the handsfree speaker function which has moved to the new round centre button instead of the previous dual function key on the T-Voice 503 - Green Handset/Speaker. The T-Voice 503 has a black background display vs the TSH-C which has colour display. 

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/home-phone/pdf/telstra-t-voice-503-ug-310117.pd...

The round speaker button on the TSH-C also appears on the Telstra Voice Control Cordless, TVC-C initiate and activate Alexa Voice Dialing. 

Highlighted

Having a great day for discoveries. My T-Voice 503 was set to 'Empty' Wallpaper and that is why it was showing as Black. The Display settings have 4 Wallpaper Options that are colored for selection by the user and are consistent with the Telstra packaging photos. 

Highlighted

HI did you work out how to make a call?

We just received ours and while I can dial a number and press the call button, the timer counts up but it just doesn't ring at the other end.

Highlighted

Hi - Is the call successful and you can talk to the dialled party or it is a no progress situation where nothing occurs apart from seeing the timer roll on.

On your Display, do you have 'Handset 1" showing (default)  and a Signal Strength Icon indicating successful pairing connection to the Gen 2 Smart Modem? You should also be able to verify pairing has activated successfully by looking at the modem's Telephony screens showing your home phone telephone number and the assigned Handset number in the modem (shown on the Display) .

You can log into the modem via a web browser by typing 192.168.0.1 into the top bar entry window of the browser and then using the default login and password to access all modem menu options.

Ring tone should be heard for any unanswered outgoing dialled numbers until the call is answered by a person or answering machine. Does this happen on all call attempts to various destinations or the same telephone number?

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Hi, I set up my smart handset tsh-c today but can't make a call. I have followed your instructions above and can see that the handset is correctly paired with my modem. However I can't get a dial tone. I spent 1 hour 40 minutes to Telstra today and finished hanging up after being transferred 3 times and left on hold for almost an hour. Please help 😀

Highlighted

Hi - are you adding the TSH-C to an existing configuration that already has a working telephone handset connected to the Telstra Smart Modem's Phone Port and you have reliable telephone service on that connection e.g. can make outgoing calls make and receive  incoming calls - just want to establish if your service has been activated by Telstra if it is a new connection or an existing pre-activated service.

I don't have a TSH-C, my T-Voice 503 may have similar Settings. 

Menu/Advanced Settings/  - is it on Auto rather than Manual - you should see you telephone number with International dialling format. There is also an Activation menu for Line 1(your main telephone line) but I wouldn't select that in case it mucks things up. 

Do you have another cordless DECT phone from an surplus answering system - if so, let me know what the model number is. I will let you know if it is compatible for basic calls, we can test pairing to the modem and if it works, then it leads to a possible fault with the TSH-C or an unknown configuration issue.  

Highlighted

Thanks for the prompt response. We have been in this house about 8 months and only ever used the modem for internet access so haven't used phone before. We have never had an issue with internet access. Also, i don't have a cordless or otherwise phone that i can plug in to check the line. The phone is definitely paired to the modem so i can only think it is an issue with the phone line / modem accepting the phone?

Highlighted

Hi - if you are not able to borrow a phone from someone, you may be able to verify the status of your telephone line by looking into modem menus. Not always accurate, first check if the Status LED on the rear of the modem for the Phone Green. Log-In to the modem and review registration details. If all looks good, suggest call to Telstra to verify service is activated and they may be able to verify if the handset is faulty or not. 

Arcadyan - Go To Advanced / Telephony / Phone Number/ VoIP Enable and Status Enabled Green Dot. You should see your phone number and SIP registration entry.

Technicolor - Telephony / Information / Service Configuration display phone number and SIP registration and Profile. 

Highlighted

You have hit the nail on the head - the Phone Status light on the back of the modem is not on. So i guess that means the problem is with the line not being active?

Highlighted

Sometimes those LEDs don't always reflect what is showing inside, so have a look by connecting to the modem, either with a LAN cable or Wi-Fi link, open web browser. This can be done by typing 192.168.0.1 into the top entry line. On the Arcadyan, use 'admin' and default password shown on Modem label if you haven't changed it to get into the Advanced screens. On the Technicolor, you may not need to do this unless you entered a custom password.  If data is showing the service is there per previous post, you will need to talk to Telstra. 

Eventually, let us know if it is the line or the handset at fault. It may assist others who have issues with the TSH-C. Cheers.  

Highlighted

I just called telstra again and got the answer....because i live in a telstra velocity community the smart handset will not work. I mentioned to the first telstra person i spoke to yesterday that i was in a velocity communtiy but he said it should work - i guess it all depends on who you speak to. Anyway i have been advised i need to buy a cordless phone that plugs into the phone socket. 

Highlighted

That's a shame. One of my friends lives in Velocity cabled community and that applies on his service as well - his telephone line is split out of the fibre link and presented out of the Indoor Network Connection Box as a separate phone port and doesn't go through his Gen 2 Smart Modem. Maybe you can get an exchange from Telstra for a suitable and compatible alternative. Thanks for your feedback. Cheers. 

Highlighted

Yeah the telstra guy today was excellent and offered a credit for the phone against a new one. Just wish i had got him yesterday and not wasted nearly 2 hours. Anyway lesson learned and thanks again for your help.

Highlighted

hi there I have successfully registered the phone but I cannot make or receive calls , I have troubleshooted almost everything, please can someone help 

Highlighted

hi I cant make a call either , did you fix yours?

Highlighted

Hi - after successfully pairing the phone to the modem, when you press the green handset key button, do you hear dial tone after 3 seconds or no dial tone what so ever? Can you plug a traditional home phone into the Phone port of the modem and make and receive calls successfully? Have you checked the modem phone status LED and the screens inside the modem and all sections showing your telephone number listed there as activated?  What type of NBN service is provided your home - if it is Velocity, the phone line may be separate from the modem. 

Highlighted

Is the Telstra TSH-C phone only compatible with Telstra equipment or can it be used with other nbn internet providers equipment?

Highlighted

Hi - the TSH-C supports an enhanced version of the ETSI or Euro DECT GAP that evolved into CATiq2.0, developed specifically for implementation in Gateway Modems. Unlike traditional home cordless telephone systems, the Base Station for the cordless network is inside the modem - it has its own CPU chip and antennae. Telstra has a consistent history of supporting DECT GAP inside their modems with later versions supporting both standards.

I have not seen other NBN RSPs providers offer DECT GAP or CATiq2.0 support in their modems, however I not aware of their history or current offerings. My understanding is that the CATiq2.0 standard is backward compatible with DECT GAP in very basic functionality only, but have not confirmed same with testing. Due to their German origin where they hold near to 65% of the market there, Frtiz!Box Modems support the DECT GAP standard. Last year I read their position on CATiq2.0 support, the company indicated have not committed to implementing CATiq2.0 yet but say that a CATiq2.0 phone will work on their modem with limited functionality.  

I have successfully paired a analog home cordless Panasonic Euro DECT GAP to a Gen 2 Smart Modem for very basic make and receive calls only. Not all DECT cordless phones pair to Telstra modems. The cordless phone industry is rife with propriety versions of the generic word 'DECT' by companies who have primarily catered for the US market. Their analog home cordless products sold in Australia comply to our country's frequencies, however their proprietary extensions of the DECT 6.0 standard make them incompatible between suppliers who support the full Euro DECT GAP standards.

An example of that is the Yealink SIP Base Station and their CATiq2.0 compliant phone; the company's datasheet specifically states support is limited to their products only and may not be re-used on other cordless CATiq2.0 compliant systems - an overt lockdown of an open international standard. In contrast, the Panasonic SIP CATiq2.0 cordless phone sold by Telstra on their Business DOT platforms pairs successfully to a Gen 2 modem in full feature mode.    

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit