Dan76
Level 4: Private Eye

Telstra Smart Modem Arcadyan LH1000 - incorrectly provisioned NGC Voice Service - FTTN (Mode=PSTN)

Answered

I have been with Telstra since 22nd December after moving my FTTN Internet and Phone Service back from another RSP. Unfortunately Telstra have made a mistake provisioning my phone service so an incorrect config is being sent to the modem.

The actual SIP information shows my phone number and is registering to Telstra servers..

13.01.2021 18:00:44 [VoIP] SIP Registered: IP-Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, VoIP number: +617xxxxxxxx, URI[sip:[xxxxxxxxxxF]:5060;transport=udp].

However, the modem is configured for PSTN and not VOIP/SIP so the phone service is not working on my FTTN connection. This is not a setting I can change but clearly visible on the modem. From the login page the Phone service says DISABLED and mode PSTN which is clearly wrong. In advanced / telephony / phone number the Service Configuration is clearly checked as PSTN and not VOIP.

I have spent several hours on Gold Support; have a Voice incident and now an internet fault incident open, even went as far as raising a complaint but no one can help me.

All Telstra do is close tickets and start a new one after a few days. It's gone from L1 to L2 support but they still cannot understand and always want to do basic troubleshooting which has been done time and time again.

I have even setup my previous / old Telstra Frontier modem and the same incorrect PSTN mode is being pulled from Telstra so the phone provisioning is incorrect at their end.

I have checked with my brother in law who also has the same modem and FTTN connection. His login page shows phone enabled , mode SIP (mine says mode PSTN).

Anyone know what else I can do? I am so close to just pulling stumps and moving elsewhere.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dan76
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Arcadyan LH1000 - incorrectly provisioned NGC Voice Service - FTTN (Mode=PST

Ok just to give this closure, the issue is now resolved.

Was very close to taking the 30 day NBN satisfaction guarantee and walking away. 

Since this post, I have had at least 3 tickets raised (through Gold Support chat), each one starting from scratch only to be closed the next day via a text message and no contact despite asking for it and giving them my number.

Funny also at least 2 support people ignored my mobile that was provided and rang the non working home phone and left a message to contact them. (I found the messagebank recordings after the issue was fixed - seriously guys come on, why ring a number that is having a fault and not ringing the mobile, then just rebooting the router and closing the ticket without any further interaction).

Each ticket required chatting to the consultant and giving them all the information and even posting this page, each session taking hours so was very frustrating experience even with the Gold Support.

Finally I stumbled upon someone in faults who would not give up and eventually fixed it; they also got a nice letter written about them direct to the CEO's office.

The lady was fantastic, she nailed the issue down to a single parameter.

I churned from Foxtel Broadband / Phone service (FTTN).

------------------

When an account is churned sometimes MOR request isn't actioned and device is left in NEM-DMS with VolP=true   SIP=false.
When the MOR request is actioned, these should be set the opposite. As a result, these accounts have no Voice.

-----------------

As soon as she made the change remotely (without any reset required) the phone service instantly sprung to life. The phone light came on and the modem was no longer in PSTN mode despite all the SIP info being correct.

On the login page of the Arcadyan Gen 2 Modem the Phone was now ENABLED and Mode VOIP (Funny my friends modem must be the Technicolor variant as his mode is SIP) - either way its no longer reporting PSTN mode.

Also in Advanced / Telephone / Phone Number - the service configuration is now VOIP instead of PSTN.

Grateful its resolved and hope if anyone needs this info it can assist them as well.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Dan76

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Arcadyan LH1000 - incorrectly provisioned NGC Voice Service - FTTN (Mode=PST

Phone Light off and Phone says its disabledPhone mode is PSTN, this should say SIP (for an NBN phone service)Phone settings page where this is incorrectly configured

Dan76

Screenshots above showing the issue.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

It's not configurable from the customer's end. It is a system setting. You could try resetting the modem to see if it will download a new initialisation file on reconnection, but I doubt it.

Also, do you have anything plugged into the Black PSTN port?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dan76

That's correct the setting is greyed out for me hence needs to be fixed at Telstra's end.

I have hard reset the modem numerous times (latest last night) and the phone config is completely wiped. I can see neither VOIP or PSTN Service Configuration. SIP settings and number are completely wiped after a hard reset.

...Then the bad config is downloaded again.

There is nothing in the Black PSTN port.

I have been alternating between a corded phone in the Green port and a Telstra supplied wireless DECT phone.

The symptoms of this incorrect service mode setting in the modem (PSTN instead of VOIP) is that people ring me (as SIP is configured and polling)) but when I answer the modem must be switching to PSTN mode and the line goes dead.  There is also no dial tone as I suspect when I pickup the phone the modem is again switching to the PSTN mode.

So in all my Telstra (Voice Service over FTTN) after moving from another RSP is misconfigured at Telstra's end and they don't know how to fix it.

Any other suggestions are very welcome.

Jupiter

If after lodging a formal complaint with Telstra hasn't resulted in the issue getting fixed, then the next step would be to lodge a complaint with the TIO (tio.com.au). The Telstra complaints manager should have been pushing the issue through the system until they found someone senior enough who could find a resource that could fix the problem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dan76

ok this complaint is still in progress so I will give them some more time.

Dan76
Accepted Solution

Ok just to give this closure, the issue is now resolved.

Was very close to taking the 30 day NBN satisfaction guarantee and walking away. 

Since this post, I have had at least 3 tickets raised (through Gold Support chat), each one starting from scratch only to be closed the next day via a text message and no contact despite asking for it and giving them my number.

Funny also at least 2 support people ignored my mobile that was provided and rang the non working home phone and left a message to contact them. (I found the messagebank recordings after the issue was fixed - seriously guys come on, why ring a number that is having a fault and not ringing the mobile, then just rebooting the router and closing the ticket without any further interaction).

Each ticket required chatting to the consultant and giving them all the information and even posting this page, each session taking hours so was very frustrating experience even with the Gold Support.

Finally I stumbled upon someone in faults who would not give up and eventually fixed it; they also got a nice letter written about them direct to the CEO's office.

The lady was fantastic, she nailed the issue down to a single parameter.

I churned from Foxtel Broadband / Phone service (FTTN).

------------------

When an account is churned sometimes MOR request isn't actioned and device is left in NEM-DMS with VolP=true   SIP=false.
When the MOR request is actioned, these should be set the opposite. As a result, these accounts have no Voice.

-----------------

As soon as she made the change remotely (without any reset required) the phone service instantly sprung to life. The phone light came on and the modem was no longer in PSTN mode despite all the SIP info being correct.

On the login page of the Arcadyan Gen 2 Modem the Phone was now ENABLED and Mode VOIP (Funny my friends modem must be the Technicolor variant as his mode is SIP) - either way its no longer reporting PSTN mode.

Also in Advanced / Telephone / Phone Number - the service configuration is now VOIP instead of PSTN.

Grateful its resolved and hope if anyone needs this info it can assist them as well.

View solution in original post

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit