Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

TELSTRA T-VOICE 503 DECT CORDLESS PHONE

Hi

We have been having problems with this phone connecting to Telstra Smart Modem GEN 2 LH1000 - the problems are sporadic. The NBN supply is HFC type.

Currently the phone just has a busy tone.

I have rebooted, re-registered, unplugged, etc - all to no avail.

Telstra support have provided no assistance at all.

Questions are:

1) Should we just be using a phone that plugs into the back of the modem directly, instead of this cordless version?

2) If yes, what sort of phones will work? Can we just use an old phone or does it need to be a specific type?

3) Are there any other suggestions.

Thanks

Mark

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Re: TELSTRA T-VOICE 503 DECT CORDLESS PHONE

Hi - I had a similar issue with my modem when it was on Ver 0.11.11 r - I didn't get a Busy Tone per se (same frequency repeated quickly) when I called a relative, unsuccessfully for three days, then I worked out we were actually getting Network Congestion Tone (two frequencies high and low repeating) which may sound like Busy Tone. It was solved by doing a modem Reset within the admin screen.  

Given you have tried this and no change, suggest a Factory Reset - Advanced/Management/System Reset/Factory Defaults. Any customised programming will need to be redone. 

Today my modem upgraded to Ver 0.12.09 r, but its System Reset option is currently not working as it should. 

You can connect any tone dialing analog phone that is approved for operation in Australia to the Green Phone Port. This will verify if the problem exists with the T-Voice phone or the network. The same goes for any existing cordless systems with answering machines which can be connected to the Phone port. 

If the problem doesn't go away, you can also try to Reset the Phone handset in the phone menu - Handset Settings/Select/ Arrow down to Handset Setback which is Reset.  

Why you can sometimes lose your voice service on NBN.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/home-phones/noise-static-on-nbn-phone-after-10-15-mins/td-p/8...

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply, Mkrtich.

I'll give that a go.

I also bought a phone to try in the green port which will help work out if it's the phone, network, etc.

Will let you know how I get on.

Highlighted

Update.

Bought a new phone. Didn't work still.

Phone does not work to call out. Calling in gets engaged tone. Green light on "phone" light of modem flashes.

Tried Telstra support and did everything. No luck with anything tried in around 2 hour period. I was told they would escalate and call me back in 24 hours but that hasn't happened.

Seems impossible to resolve.

Highlighted

Hi, I have two of the 503's paired to my LH1000 and they have worked fine for months. So I haven't had to troubleshoot them at all.

On the back of the modem, above the phone port, there is a phone indicator on  the system led panel..  is that showing green?

Do you know how to get into the user interface on the modem? In there, on the Adnced page you can access the modem log. Have a look in there for references to the phone, like..

26.09.2020 19:07:20 [VoIP] SIP Registered: IP-Address: xxxx

That will tell you if the phone is being detected and registered (which it probably isn't).

Have you tried to restart the modem either from the  mangement option in the Advanced screen, or by unplugging the power by either unplugging at the modem or at the power point Leave it off for a minute at least then power it back up and after the modem gets to working state, try the phone again.

I would suggest doing that before doing a Factory Reset...  Good luck.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

If you don't already know about it, or have it..  one of the helpful regular in these (and other) forums put together an unofficial manual for the LH1000, which you ill find here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BVq7jGm44RtQIbfGwSVvyj98i27qj1s9/view?usp=sharing

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Highlighted

Thanks, Steve. I appreciate the help.

The phone indicator flashes green which from the manual (unofficial one) suggests phone in use. I scoured the house looking for other phone ports and a device "off the hook" just in case but no luck.

I've logged into the UI and it does show something there under telephony but I will have to check and see what it says and compare to yours. It's my elderly in-laws system I am trying to fix which makes it even more difficult as they live 20 mins away so I keep going there, trying things, calling Telstra, failing, going home, and repeat.

I haven't factory reset. I might try that. Although we did have this problem intermittently with the previous (same model) modem which Telstra replaced.

Thanks again, mate.

Highlighted

No worries, glad to offer what help I can..

If there is another device 'off hook' that you can't find, unless it is connected to that port it will be wireless. And wired or wireless, the log will tell you if the SIP device is registered and connected..

I would try other resets before the big Factory Reset, just in case there are settings that need to be kept..  Once you do a power cycle or a modem 'Restart' take a look at the log as soon as you can and you will see what happens with the phone line registration..

Always awkward when you have to drive to and from a place just to try things and troubleshoot..  at the end of the day, a replacement modem from Telstra or even eBay/FB Marketplace might be an reasonable low cost (cheaper than a tank of fuel) option.

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Hey mate. Tried a couple of the suggestions then factory reset and the modem wouldn't play ball so I installed the old modem and now everything works....crazy! Anyhow thanks for all your help. Cheers Mark

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit