Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra TSH-D Desktop Phone losing WiFi Signal

Answered

Hello,

My elderly parents recently changed to Telstra NBN (Cable), so they last their original landline phone.  I purchased the Telstra TSH-D Desktop phone that connects wifi to their Telstra Smart Modem GenII.  Although the phone connected easily, it regularly loses the WiFi signal and cannot reconnect until the power is cycled on the Smart Modem.  My initial thought was that the phone was to far from the Modem, although the phone shows 5 bars for wifi strength, so I moved the phone to the same room as the modem but within hours of being connected it loses the signal and remains "searching" until the modem is reset.

Can anybody offer a suggestion / solution.  I would normally take it back to the Telstra shop where I purchased it, but this shop is now closed.

Thank you 

Woolie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra TSH-D Desktop Phone losing WiFi Signal

I have had some unexplained menus on a T-Voice 502 cordless phone telling me to reactivate when I have full signal strength at times but not other live cordless phones.  

In case your issue is related to any recent software changes - just a few suggestions. Write down the firmware version of your Gen 2 Modem - latest versions are

Technicolor DJA0231 - 18.1.c.0462-950 RB

Arcadyan LH:1000 0.10.05r.

You can see this through either login to 192.168.0.1 or see it through the TSH-D phone screen which may be easier. Page 26 Quick Setup Guide shows you how to see both the Base Station Firmware (Gen 2 modem ) software and the Handset software. 

Log into the modem via 192.168.0.1 and go to the Telephony screen, and Delete or Remove the TSH-D handset.

Then on the handset Restore the TSH-D to Default setting - also page 26 onwards.

Prepare for a new pairing to the modem by going to the Register Handset menu, then press the Pairing button on the rear of the modem, activate the pairing process on the handset. 

Then see if the handset auto suggests you to upgrade the software - it should do a check after pairing successful, if not do it manually through the Menus - you may get a 'software is already up to date' response or similar. Compare that with the initially written down versions. 

If the handset regularly loses connection after the above processes, over a period of time or no significant improvement,  suggest you contact Telstra for rectification or take it back to store for a replacement. If the call centre sends you to the shop, ask them to give you a Case Reference Number or Return Authorisation. 

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/home-phone/pdf/TSH-D-QSG.pdf

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

I have had some unexplained menus on a T-Voice 502 cordless phone telling me to reactivate when I have full signal strength at times but not other live cordless phones.  

In case your issue is related to any recent software changes - just a few suggestions. Write down the firmware version of your Gen 2 Modem - latest versions are

Technicolor DJA0231 - 18.1.c.0462-950 RB

Arcadyan LH:1000 0.10.05r.

You can see this through either login to 192.168.0.1 or see it through the TSH-D phone screen which may be easier. Page 26 Quick Setup Guide shows you how to see both the Base Station Firmware (Gen 2 modem ) software and the Handset software. 

Log into the modem via 192.168.0.1 and go to the Telephony screen, and Delete or Remove the TSH-D handset.

Then on the handset Restore the TSH-D to Default setting - also page 26 onwards.

Prepare for a new pairing to the modem by going to the Register Handset menu, then press the Pairing button on the rear of the modem, activate the pairing process on the handset. 

Then see if the handset auto suggests you to upgrade the software - it should do a check after pairing successful, if not do it manually through the Menus - you may get a 'software is already up to date' response or similar. Compare that with the initially written down versions. 

If the handset regularly loses connection after the above processes, over a period of time or no significant improvement,  suggest you contact Telstra for rectification or take it back to store for a replacement. If the call centre sends you to the shop, ask them to give you a Case Reference Number or Return Authorisation. 

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/home-phone/pdf/TSH-D-QSG.pdf

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you for your suggestion Mkrtich.

With social distancing I am limiting my contact with my parents (they are both over 90), so it may be several days before I get a chance to test your suggestion.  I will follow your advice, when I'm next at their house checking up on them.

Again thank you for your responce

Highlighted

Pleasure. If the modem does not have current firmware, sometimes an update can occur if the modem is Factory Reset from the system menus. If the firmware is not current, maybe do this first to see if it updates.

Arcadyan - Advanced/Management/System Reset/Factory Defaults

Technicolor - from memory this setting  seen once you select the top left tile called Gateway.

Its a bit of hit and miss with updates, they are pushed out automatically by Telstra but sometimes if you are lucky a Factory Reset or System Reset from the Menus can cause it to update. 

Highlighted

@Woolie  - I hope you don't mind me including @Ausboy in this message to you. We are trying confirm if his TSH-D which appears, when it is removed from the power point, ceases to function. We are uncertain if his unit is faulty or battery backup is simply not a function of the TSH-D - with no visible sign of a battery cover, sometimes covers are hidden under stick on labels to prevent people from removing them if there is a safety issue with external power.* 

The only on-line User Guide for the TSH-D deskphone is at Version 5 status implying many of changes from its original version. It has many references to an internal battery, a cover, warning the owner not to connect it to power without having a battery loaded first*,  having 2 bars of battery storage before you attempt to download new firmware to it via the link to the Gen 2 modem.

When your parents' TSH-D phone was relocated from one room to another, did the display stay online and show a battery status graphic with bars. Have they moved the phone around the home without a power cord connected and had full use of its functions. Thanks. 

Highlighted

Hello Mkrtich,

When I moved the TSH-D to another room (same room as the Telstra Gen 2 Modem), it lost it's display etc. the moment the power was removed.  This model has no battery backup.

I did as you suggested and updated the firmware of the TSH-D but the original problem of the handset losing it's connection still exists.  I have noticed that the NBN modem has all 4 lights on green but the front of the Telstra Gen 2 modem is blue, indicating the system is accessing the network using the SIM card.  This I assume is causing the TSH-D to regularly disconnect and can only be restored when the power is cycled on the Telstra Gen 2 modem.

If I remove power from both the NBN Modem and the Telstra Gen2 Modem, leave them powered down for 5 minutes or longer, when I restore the power both modems boot up correctly with a green light on the Gen 2 Modem, then the Telstra modem reverts back to the blue light on the front.  This happens no matter what order the 2 devices are booted up.  According to the Telstra self help service, it states there is a problem but with no details and to date, I haven't had the hour or 2 required to contact Telstra support while I am at my parents house.  If you can suggest another course of action I would be interested.  Luckily, their original landline is still working and that is the phone they are rely on.

I hope this helps

Woolie

Highlighted

Thank you for your feedback on the apparent lack of battery backup in the phone which I will pursue with another party - it unbelievable that in 2020 that a major corporation like Telstra would unknowingly open itself to claims of false and misleading selling practices. Did your TSH-D come with the User Guide that is identical to their web Version 5 where references to the importance of the having battery in place are made?  

Just a few questions about your parents NBN Cable HFC connection. Does the coax cabled NBN Arris modem have four green LEDs indicating active connection to the - Power/Downstream/Upstream/Online. When you stated that their landline is still working, you are referring to the virtual  telephone number that must be connecting to the 4G LTE Back Up SIM inside the Telstra Modem. The copper landline is not used. 

Unfortunately if the Telstra web site says there is a network problem in your parents area and they are addressing it, all is working as it should with the modem in Blue LED mode, keeping communications going for voice and data. They may be on a Telstra Priority Assist Register, so you may use their status to escalate the importance of rectification when you next speak to Telstra.  

The only thing one could to do in an attempt to improve the TSH-D Stability on site is a Factory Reset of the modem by inserting a paperclip into the Reset hole of the modem with power on. Any custom settings to Wi-Fi Name, passwords and TSH-D registration will have to be re-entered. Difficult to know if instability and recalcitrant behaviour of the TSH-D is due to the modem or the handset.

You can't rely on unstable voice communications for your parents. May pay you to claim a refund from Telstra and get another solution from them in store - Telstra sell other cordless solutions that should be a 'plug and forget' installation. I don't have any experience with this model, but the Call Guardian 301 Twin Pack+Answer Machine may be worth having a look as it connects to the Modem with a cable and has a feature to Block annoying Call Centre callers. There is also an alternative Telstra Easy Call-Cordless with similar connection wired connection  - hopefully the Telstra Shop can give you a run through with both options. Thank you for your reply and happy to assist in any future uncertainties with your parents service. 

Highlighted

Hi Mkrtich,

Thank you for your detailed reply.  I will need to compare the user manual that came with the phone against the web version, next time I am visiting.  I have done a factory reset and the next time the phone connected to the Telstra Gen 2 Modem, the firmware (in the phone) was updated.  As I reported, the handset still loses it's wifi connection to the Telstra modem within 30 minutes of connecting.

When I refer to their landline, I am talking about the original copper landline that is still connected (was to be disconnected when the NBN was connected).  The NBN Arris modem has all four(4) lights as green, it is the Telstra modem that when powered up has a green light on the front for a short time, then it goes blue and stays blue until the next power cycle.

Unfortunately, the Telstra store where the phone was purchased and the NBN connection organised has closed due to the Virus situation and I have been told that I need to deal with that shop as other Telstra stores will not be able to assist.

Woolie

Highlighted

Thanks. The handset doesn't use Wi-Fi to connect itself to the modem. It uses an enhanced version of cordless phone radio technology derived from the previous DECT GAP generation  used in home phones and business. The version used in Gen 2 modems is made for accommodating the base station inside in the modem and is called CATiq2.0; it is also backwards compatible to DECT GAP in basic form.

Cordless telephony is rock solid in terms of connectivity, so for the TSH-D to lose connection after 30 mins indicates a problem with the Cordless Base Station CPU or DECT radio inside the modem or the handset itself. Given the current network issues preclude Telstra from remotely accessing the modem to diagnose the phone's inability  to maintain its link to the modem, a phone call to Telstra may provide a start to the rectification process for both issues. On NBN HFC and FTTP installations, although the copper landline is left in situ in the ground, it is disconnected from service at the exchange once your NBN Voice line is commissioned within the modem.

In case of interest to you - this is the link to Ausboy's post on the battery issue. The firmware level displayed in his phone is at 'TelstraCATiqH7122'.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Phones/Telstra-TSH-D/m-p/873946#M14572

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit