brl121
Level 6: Bloodhound

TG800vac time/date/year info via Phone1 port?

Answered

I have a TG800vac Gateway connected to NBN via FTN. All has been working fine.

However, I have had a problem when connecting a Gigaset DX800A hard-wired phone/base to the analogue Phone1 port.

Briefly, the phone works fine, but there is a problem with the time/date/year setting.

I was prepared to set this up manually, but, after incoming/outgoing calls, I found that the Gigaset had acquired the absolutely correct time/date, presumably via the Phone1 port, BUT the year was set to 2007! I appeared to be able to reset the year to 2020, but, whenever the Gigaset reverted to "idle", the year reverted stubbornly to 2007.

What can I do about this? Is the Gateway sending the incorrect year information and overwriting my manual setting? Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: TG800vac time/date/year info via Phone1 port?

Hi - not sure but suspect that if the Year is sent forward, the device has to accommodate it or if it is unable to do so, that part of the message is disregarded. To test, I just connected an new 2014 model Gigaset A420a cordless phone system to my Arcdayan - I played around with it last year to see DECT signal strength readings from the Telstra Modem but never connected it to the Telstra Modem Phone Port and fairly sure at that time, I entered the Date and Time into it as part of its boot up process. 

You are able to program the date e.g. 06/01/21 format and time into the menu, but I didn't edit that setting in the menu today - after turning it ON, the welcome screen showed no date or time, just INT1 and Signal Strength and Battery icons. I called my home number from a mobile phone which was displayed correctly in the handset screen, waited 30 seconds, then hung up. In addition to the previous display information, the handset display now shows 06.01 and 9:57 on the screen implying it got that date/time stamp information from the Telstra Network Time Server in the modem.

I then went into the Date/Time Menu which displayed 06/01/20 obviously keeping last year's setting for the year when I originally programmed it and edited that for 21. The home screen still only shows 06.01 for date. So for this handset, it appears the Year has to be entered manually for an analog connection but is not displayed on some screens.

You have a collectors item with your DX800a, so hold onto it - I saw one on Gumtree for $200 - very retro but IP smart - I knew Gigaset when it was owned by Siemens many moons ago - quality kit from a German manufacturer and good to see them continuing under new ownership with VoIP. All the best. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Have you checked the Time and Time zone are correct in the gateway, (http://10.0.0.138 > Advanced > Gateway)?

brl121

Yes, perfectly correct time, date, and year in Gateway. However, the Gateway is not connected to the Gigaset via the internet, just via the Phone1 dumb port.

cf4

The phone port can send time information along with caller ID.

brl121

Apparently so, but the question is: why does it set the year as 2007?

brl121

Finally, I have managed to set the year to 2020 manually in the Gigaset, so no more problems.

Sorry for the enquiry, but the fact remains that the Gateway Phone1 port fails to transmit the correct year.

I've no idea whether that's normal or not.

Mkrtich

Hi - Unusual experiences. One would expect the TG800vac to synchronise correctly with Telstra's Network Time Server. In case it is practical for your home locations, in addition to connecting the Gigaset DX800a to the modem with a telephone cord, do you currently also have a LAN cable from the DX800a to the modem - you don't have to set up the DX800a VoIP function to use that cable.

The Network Date/Time information is synchronised from the TG800vac to the  DX800a on that LAN link. This also allows the Gigaset Web Configurator to be used from a PC on your network to access its menus as an alternative to the phone display menu structure. The phone can accommodate two LAN connections in case you only have one LAN cable from the modem on your desk. Another benefit is that it allows firmware updates to the handset to be downloaded - handy to verify if it up to date given the 2007 entry. Acknowledge that you may have already done this - sometimes unexpected things happen. 

brl121

Thanks very much Mkrtich for your reply.

I had thought of also connecting to the LAN, as you have suggested, but, as my manual year setting got round the problem, didn't get around to that. I'm sure that would have worked, with the additional advantages you mentioned.

Just one final question: is it possible that the year is not actually sent over the Phone1 connection?

If so, that would explain all the symptoms. The Gigaset does synchronise perfectly with the Gateway apart from that.

Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Hi - not sure but suspect that if the Year is sent forward, the device has to accommodate it or if it is unable to do so, that part of the message is disregarded. To test, I just connected an new 2014 model Gigaset A420a cordless phone system to my Arcdayan - I played around with it last year to see DECT signal strength readings from the Telstra Modem but never connected it to the Telstra Modem Phone Port and fairly sure at that time, I entered the Date and Time into it as part of its boot up process. 

You are able to program the date e.g. 06/01/21 format and time into the menu, but I didn't edit that setting in the menu today - after turning it ON, the welcome screen showed no date or time, just INT1 and Signal Strength and Battery icons. I called my home number from a mobile phone which was displayed correctly in the handset screen, waited 30 seconds, then hung up. In addition to the previous display information, the handset display now shows 06.01 and 9:57 on the screen implying it got that date/time stamp information from the Telstra Network Time Server in the modem.

I then went into the Date/Time Menu which displayed 06/01/20 obviously keeping last year's setting for the year when I originally programmed it and edited that for 21. The home screen still only shows 06.01 for date. So for this handset, it appears the Year has to be entered manually for an analog connection but is not displayed on some screens.

You have a collectors item with your DX800a, so hold onto it - I saw one on Gumtree for $200 - very retro but IP smart - I knew Gigaset when it was owned by Siemens many moons ago - quality kit from a German manufacturer and good to see them continuing under new ownership with VoIP. All the best. 

View solution in original post

brl121

Mkrtich, thanks once again for your analysis. It looks like you have accurately reproduced my situation. The main problem with the wrong year was that the incorrect calendar was always displayed. Anyway, manually setting the year fixed it.

I didn't realise that my DX800a was a collector's item. I bought it new a couple of years ago to replace my wife's ancient answering machine: now that really was a collector's item. My wife initially refused to let me replace her old machine, so I had to wait a few years until it broke down and caused so may problems that she begged for a replacement!  Hence, the current enquiry.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit