Buffy04
Level 1: Cadet

Trouble with home phone and internet

Answered

I am having trouble with my home phone and internet which has been going on for about 2 weeks. My home phone is crackling and hissing when I open the line and my internet keeps dropping out as well. I have done a line check online myself and also had Telstra do a line check and they told me they found no faults. I have had the new Telstra TV for about 3 months so the modem is only that old and I bought a new Telstra cordless phone yesterday in case it was my old one causing the problem. I have also connected a new Adsl Internet Phone Filter Splitter as of today. I am worried that if I get a technician in to check that I will have to pay. Has anyone got any suggestions please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
The-OG-Reece
Level 13: Super Sleuth
Accepted Solution

Re: Trouble with home phone and internet

Do some isolation tests.

1. Test the home phone for a few calls with NOTHING ELSE connected to the phone line except the home phone.  Not even the filter/splitter.  How does it sound?
  2. Test the internet service for a day or so with NOTHING ELSE connected to the phone line.  Only the modem/router.  Not even a filter/splitter.  Was there many dropouts?

If the answer to both is great and no, then you need new splitters.  

Sometimes even brand new ones can be dodgy.

You need a to filter the higher frequency adsl crossover from the low frequency pstn phone line.  You also need to filter the low frequency pstn crossiver from the high frequency adsl.  Both devices need filtering.  This is where a splitter comes in handy because the one device can to both.  Every single device physically connected to your phone line needs to be filtered.

I hope this helps.  

If it doesn't, then you might also be experiencing some sort of wifi frequency crossover.  Some cheaper cordless phones operate ridiculously close to the same wifi frequency as standard 802.11b/g wireless routers.  In the modem/router, you might be able to choose the wifi channel it operates on.  If it's something like channel 6, change to channel 11 and see how eveything goes.  If you don't get any joy, you might want to find a better cordless home phone.  

I need IDDQD and IDKFA in real life.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
The-OG-Reece
Level 13: Super Sleuth
Accepted Solution

Re: Trouble with home phone and internet

Do some isolation tests.

1. Test the home phone for a few calls with NOTHING ELSE connected to the phone line except the home phone.  Not even the filter/splitter.  How does it sound?
  2. Test the internet service for a day or so with NOTHING ELSE connected to the phone line.  Only the modem/router.  Not even a filter/splitter.  Was there many dropouts?

If the answer to both is great and no, then you need new splitters.  

Sometimes even brand new ones can be dodgy.

You need a to filter the higher frequency adsl crossover from the low frequency pstn phone line.  You also need to filter the low frequency pstn crossiver from the high frequency adsl.  Both devices need filtering.  This is where a splitter comes in handy because the one device can to both.  Every single device physically connected to your phone line needs to be filtered.

I hope this helps.  

If it doesn't, then you might also be experiencing some sort of wifi frequency crossover.  Some cheaper cordless phones operate ridiculously close to the same wifi frequency as standard 802.11b/g wireless routers.  In the modem/router, you might be able to choose the wifi channel it operates on.  If it's something like channel 6, change to channel 11 and see how eveything goes.  If you don't get any joy, you might want to find a better cordless home phone.  

I need IDDQD and IDKFA in real life.

View solution in original post

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit