Graham69
Level 2: Rookie

Unable to re register my portable handset TVC-A with smart modem

My telstra portable handset stopped being able make calls. I tried re registering phone with my telstra smart modem and it will not register. It is our 2nd portable handset. Original handset works ok

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Unable to re register my portable handset TVC-A with smart modem

The TVC-A (Additional handset needs to be paired to the 'puck' that is part of the main handset TVC-C.

Manual is here TVC-A User Guide 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

The handset will need to be de registered in the modem before it can be paired. You can do this by either factory resting the modem or by logging into the modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra), and going to Advanced > Telphony . If you have the Technicolor modem (DJA0231) go to the DECT tab, select handset from drop down list and select Unregister. If you have the Arcadyan modem (LH1000) go to the Phone Device Tab, and select cross next to handset.

SteveW_52

@cf4   when setting up the TVC series of devices, I have never had to pair the TVC-A's to the Smart Modem just to the TVC-C 'puck'. But the TVC-C 'puck' connects by ethernet cable to the modem for network purposes, as well as a telephone cable (into the modem phone port). The TVC's are geared towards working with Alexa?

Have you successfully connected the TVC devices to the Smart Modem 2 DECT base? I have never tried to do that that.

Stevo 52
cf4

@SteveW_52  I don't have a TVC_A handset so have never tried but if it is a DECT handset it should be able to pair with the modem.

Graham69

Hi Steve

I am still unable to pair my phone to the smart modem. The phone just says no location. When I originally purchased phone it paired perfectly. I have just tried to re register phone because I could not dial out. I have a 2 portable handsets and a fixed handset which is plugged into modem.

SteveW_52

@Graham69   To my understanding, and from the manuals, the TVC-C (Base) connects to the modem by cable and the TVC-A (Additional) registers to the 'puck' part of the TVC-C (Base) and not to the modem?

Were the manuals of any help? Is your configuration as described in those, or something different?

Can you describe how you have connected all the handsets?

When you set them up intially did you pair the portable handsets to the Telstra Modem? Where did you find instructions to do that?

What is the model of the 'fixed handset'? Does it include a seperate 'puck' that connects to the modem? Does that have an ethernet cable AND a telephone cable to the modem?

And while it might be a bit obvious, are those handset models correct? Are they all TVC-? types?

Stevo 52
Graham69

Fixed handset is a uniden FP1100 which connects directly into the smart modem vis a normal phone cable

No 1 handset is a Telstra TSH-C . On the back of the smart modem is a Pair button. Pressing this and pressing register on the phone eventually registers the phone.

No 2 handset is a Telstra TVC-A . This is the handset I am having trouble with. I originally used same procedure as above to register the phone with no problems. However I now cannot re register it. Some times it displays no base, mostly it displays first, registered then unregistered.

Please state anything obvious as I am 69 and any help is appreciated.

I have removed battery from handset and reinstalled after 5 minutes looking for a master reset. Both handset bases are as far as I can see are jusr charging points with no reset buttons visible.

SteveW_52

Thanks for the additional info..

I have used those TSH-C handsets, directly paired to the smart modem. But the TVC-A is part of a different 'Alexa Friendly' group of devices.

Your combination of devices is one I haven't ever used. I have only ever paired the TVC-A devices to the TVC-C Base units. 

In your case, you might need to go into the modem user interface, Telephony and see how many handsets are registered in the DECT area. I am guessing there will be two, one of which will be the relcalcitrant handset. If you can see two and identify the right one, you should delete it there and then try re-pairing the device.

Being 69 myself and still playing with these new technologies isn't so hard - things have got simpler and in some aspects easier over the years - a lot of configuration that needed to be done manually in the past, is no longer necessary. You seem to be doing OK?

Stevo 52
Graham69

There is only one handset on the device list

SteveW_52

OK.

Have you restarted the modem? Power cycle (leave it off for 90 secs or so) or Restart from the Management tab.

Make sure you tick the 'Keep Phonebook' option if you have any entries in that.

The next option after that is a 'Factory Reset' but try the restart first...

If you havent already done so, also power off the handset itself (remove batteries for a few minutes) just in case..

Stevo 52
Graham69

Unfortunately that did not work. Handset still will not pair. It initially says  registered then data sync then unregistered.

SteveW_52

Which steps did you take?

Can you provide step by step details of the process you are using to pair the handset to the modem?

Stevo 52
Graham69

I press register on the handset and then the pair button on the smart modem.This pair button flashes, handset displays " no base "

SteveW_52

And that process worked fine, the first time you paired the handset to the modem?

Did you power cycle the handset (remove the batteries) yet?

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Have a look at this guide for the LH1000 modem (written by @cf4 ) - Arcadyan LH1000 Guide  

Go to section 16 and follow the instructions to pair a device manually..

As I said previously, there is the option to Factory Reset the modem, but that will require you to repair all the cordless handsets...  so it is a last resort option.

I will pick up a TVC-A handset next time I go past a Telstra store, just to test the device. I'm intrigued about the problem. I have older T-503's and they work great.

Stevo 52
Graham69

Hi again

Still no success in pairing phone. I have obviously done something wrong or the phone is faulty. So I will endeavor to return it to telstra which is a bit difficult in these Covid times. I successfully de registered and re registered my other portable phone

SteveW_52

You are right, it seems to be a faulty handset..

If you are going to return it as faulty, you might want to see if you can get another TSH-C instead..  you don't seem to be using the Alexa functionality anyway and you know the TSH-C works direct to the modem? 

Stevo 52

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit