Level 2: Rookie

Unwelcome calls on residential phone

Answered
Interesting that residential customers can receive calls (e.g. from 0390248465) from a person claiming to represent Telstra (because my service is apparently running data errors 😉😉) yet Telstra appear not to be able to pursue and prosecute this act of fraud.
Why not?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Unwelcome calls on residential phone

Hi @DodgeeLodge,

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear you have been receiving these calls, this was definitely a hoax rather than a call from one of our centres. You can report this scam call here and find more information here.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 21: Augmented

Because those numbers are spoofed, often non existent.
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

The calling number may be spoofed or VOIP .. but my question really related to why doesnt Telstra pursue the caller who is claiming to be a Telstra rep.
Level 21: Augmented

They would need a warrant and would have to be monitoring all lines. Then tracing the spoofed caller... Technically very hard particularly in the era of VOIP. And of course, would you like them to be monitoring all your calls just for a chance of catching these criminals? And even more, they are probably overseas, so to get any prosecution etc is nearly impossible.
Finally, and most importantly like with any other computer related crime/fraud - Telstra is not suffering any loss, so it is not in Telstra's interest to pursue it. I know it sounds horrible, but that's a fact. Same like banks are not chasing "Algerian scam", because banks are not suffering loss...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi @DodgeeLodge,

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear you have been receiving these calls, this was definitely a hoax rather than a call from one of our centres. You can report this scam call here and find more information here.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

That is not a solution but simply an avenue to gather information about this hoax call.
My question was not answered by Telstra.
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The simple answer is that it would be legally difficult (Telstra have no legal powers to pursue the originator of the call - that is up to the police), and prohibitively expensive to trace the origin of the call (monitoring millions of calls in order to be able to trace a call that may not be coming in to the country by the same route each time and not knowing it is a scammer until after the call is answered).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit