phone_novice
Level 1: Cadet

Using a Uniden answering machine with Telstra NBN

We have recently switched over from a Telstra copper line land-line phone to a Telstra NBN Hybrid cable/WiFi system.. The phone line works if we are here to pick it up, but the answering machine does not work. Instead of 6 rings followed by the answering machine the phone now rings 3 times followed by a Telstra message "you have reached the message bank of a private phone line.." Is there anyone out there who can suggest how we get back to the answering machine..? Do we need a new base station with answering machine or is it a Telstra settings issue..

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
mucky

Re: Using a Uniden answering machine with Telstra NBN

@phone_novice wrote:

We have recently switched over from a Telstra copper line land-line phone to a Telstra NBN Hybrid cable/WiFi system.. The phone line works if we are here to pick it up, but the answering machine does not work. Instead of 6 rings followed by the answering machine the phone now rings 3 times followed by a Telstra message "you have reached the message bank of a private phone line.." Is there anyone out there who can suggest how we get back to the answering machine..? Do we need a new base station with answering machine or is it a Telstra settings issue..

SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

You need to change the ring time on your landline..

I just tried it and it doesn't seem to be working at the moment..  but

Go to the Services list,

Scroll to your home phone number and click on Manage Home Phone

Find Your Bundle and then click on Manage..

Scroll down to Call Settings then click on Mange (I just get booted back to the main account page here)..

It might work for you..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

I think this will work directly from the handset (note that Telstra mobiles and home phones use the same voicemail now)

Pick up the handset, dial **61*101** SS#  - where the SS is the ring time in secs = 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 etc. (I have mine set at 55 bit it seems not everyone can do that). .  Then press the call/send button

Make a test call to your home number - adjust the delay to suit the pick up time of the Uniden device

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
phone_novice

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately, no change. I tried 30 seconds, 35 seconds and 55 seconds.. I still get the same message, ie., " you have reached the message-bank of a private number "

SteveW_52

Did you get 'Success' messages when you changed those settings? I am pretty sure you should do.

There is a code to turn off voicemail, which is probably what you need..  

Or, if it is available (it wasn't earlier) there is access via your My Account page...

Stevo 52
phone_novice

Thanks for your response. I tried my account as suggested, but, like you, it wasn't working.. I'll try it again later..

Cheers

Mkrtich

Hi - a friend of mine had a similar problem last week and to extend the network ring time to allow her to get to the phone before transfer to Message Bank, this worked on a Vtech 12500 system. Seems that Telstra has so many ways to activate features and sometimes they don't work as expected. 

https://www.telstra.com.au/platinum-technical-support/articles/how-to-extend-the-ring-time-of-your-... 

phone_novice

Thanks for this; I've logged the problem with Telstra. I might hear something eventually.. The other possibility is if Telstra's My Account page can actually be made to work I might be able to explore the Services list. It's still not working today.. Thanks for your input..

Reggie4806
Level 4: Private Eye

From home phone feature guide https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/support/pdf/home-phone/home-phone-user-guide-c0...

*99 seconds #   = Extend ring time before message bank (seconds = 5 to 55). If your line is busy callers will still go immediately to Telstra msg bank.

#99#   =  Disables all call forwarding to msg bank. Incoming calls will ring out or get busy tone instead.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit