GavHill
Level 3: Gumshoe

Voip Landline Phone Drops Out

Answered

Hi, I have been having issues with the landline through the telstra modem. The phone will work fine then drop out randomly. It may be during a call and sometimes not. a repower of the modem fixes the issue but it will just drop out again. the internet connection continues to work throughout. I have a wireless bridge with static Ip's setup connecting NTD to the Telstra smart modem/router WAN port. Could the wireless bridge be the issue?? Bear in mind the Internet connection continues uninterrupted.

Gavin Hill
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Voip Landline Phone Drops Out

Thanks. According to the Install Guide, the TP-Link 5 GHz CPES510's appear to have a proprietary signalling scheme which incorporates a Quality of Service (QoS) feature that is supposed to give Voice packets a priority - there may be some programming required or it could be set as Default? May pay to talk to TP-Link for guidance on settings that may improve matters - it hit and miss with Voice Over Wi-Fi with residential applications. Given Data has no problem at 1200 Mbps, I can only put it down to an issue with QoS  - we all strike one way conversations or drop outs at times even with wired NBN services. 

In your neighbour's case, the potential for problems is doubled - the 1.2 km WiFi Link (50% greater distance than yours) , then the link from the NTD Port to the NBN Network ( is this Fixed Wireless or wired NBN)  and then through the Telstra Network to the Internet.   

I have been an admirer of Ubiquity equipment and watched a lot of YouTube clips on their Long Range WiFi Link equipment but I am not familiar with the technical aspects of their programming options. If your Ubiquity system can operate over 1200 metres - is the nano Station an M2  2.4 Ghz (stronger signal) or the M5 5.8 Ghz, you could experiment by connecting it to your neighbour's network to see if voice drop outs occur at the same rate as the TP-Link.

The Ubiquity Nano Stations appear to be affordable solutions if your equipment works well - you can never tell with Wifi and Voice - they were not intended for each other. VoIP requires certain Jitter and Packet Loss criteria to be met by the link - the only way to determine this is to have PC equipment at both ends to measure these but it could vary at any time of day depending on network traffic.  

from TP-Link 5 GHz CPES510 Install Guide

Q3. What is Pharos MAXtream?
Pharos MAXtream is a proprietary protocol developed on the basis
of Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) by TP-Link.
The MAXtream technology has the following advantages:
• Eliminates hidden node collisions and improves channel efficiency.
• Lower latency, higher throughput, larger network capacity and
more stability.
• Improves the QoS for video, voice and sound data stream.
By dividing the timing of transmission into different time slots,
MAXtream allows the Pharos devices to transmit in rapid succession,
one after another, each using its own time slot to transmit and
receive their own frames, which greatly reduces the chance of
collision.
Pharos MAXtream is a non-standard Wi-Fi protocol that is only
compatible with TP-Link’s Pharos series products. Please notice
that you will not be able to connect other Wi-Fi devices to an AP with
MAXtream enabled.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The wireless bridge could be the issue. Have you tried connecting modem temporarily to the NTD using a wired connection.

GavHill

No I haven't tried that as there is no 240V at the NTD, its 12V dc off solar system, not sure how to repair if this is the issue, maybe make the Wireless bridge units DHCP?

Gavin Hill
Mkrtich

Hi - is this a new phenomena or you have just set up this interesting configuration - are you connected to the NBN Fixed Wireless network and how have you connected 12 volts to the NTD and the primary Wireless Bridge from the solar power system? For testing, can the modem tap into the same 12 volt DC source that accommodates the Amps required for both devices.

If your Wireless Bridge arrangement uses legacy WDS for interconnection and works fine for data, it may treat all data packets (voice and data) equally, meaning best effort for all, with no Quality of Service or Voice Priority. For the voice connection, any transmissions with significant packets loss or suffering excessive jitter will not be re-transmitted generally resulting in distorted speech, one way conversations and drops outs. You may view some indicative measurements in a Speedtest.net Mobile App which shows you Packet Loss and Jitter however given the dynamic nature of data transmissions, you may get good results which align to times where you have no VoIP problems. 

I don't think this is a DHCP issue - it points more to the link between the NTD and the Modem or the Fixed Wireless Network if you have that service.

For interest , what is the Wireless Bridge Arrangement you have installed - is it using 2.4Ghz WiFi. 

Emily99
Support Team
Support Team

Hey there!

We actually have some great troubleshooting tools you can use, to see if it sheds any light on the issue, here:  https://tel.st/796wx

Alternatively, you can have a chat online with someone in our faults department, who can have a deeper dive into the issue for you, you can reach them here:  https://tel.st/y6agu

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

GavHill

Hi,

This sounds entirely feasible, if this is the case how do I fix it? I actually have the NTD connected to 2 separate wireless bridges port 1 to our house, port 2 to a neighbors place. At our house we have no issue, it uses 2.4Ghz ubiquity nanostation links we are around 800m away.

Our Neighbor is about 1.2km away, and I have used tp-link 5Ghz CPE510's to connect him. This is the link where the phone drops out. however his internet is very fast, could I  have a configuration error, or maybe I should just buy another set of Ubiquity Nanostations??

Gavin Hill
Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Thanks. According to the Install Guide, the TP-Link 5 GHz CPES510's appear to have a proprietary signalling scheme which incorporates a Quality of Service (QoS) feature that is supposed to give Voice packets a priority - there may be some programming required or it could be set as Default? May pay to talk to TP-Link for guidance on settings that may improve matters - it hit and miss with Voice Over Wi-Fi with residential applications. Given Data has no problem at 1200 Mbps, I can only put it down to an issue with QoS  - we all strike one way conversations or drop outs at times even with wired NBN services. 

In your neighbour's case, the potential for problems is doubled - the 1.2 km WiFi Link (50% greater distance than yours) , then the link from the NTD Port to the NBN Network ( is this Fixed Wireless or wired NBN)  and then through the Telstra Network to the Internet.   

I have been an admirer of Ubiquity equipment and watched a lot of YouTube clips on their Long Range WiFi Link equipment but I am not familiar with the technical aspects of their programming options. If your Ubiquity system can operate over 1200 metres - is the nano Station an M2  2.4 Ghz (stronger signal) or the M5 5.8 Ghz, you could experiment by connecting it to your neighbour's network to see if voice drop outs occur at the same rate as the TP-Link.

The Ubiquity Nano Stations appear to be affordable solutions if your equipment works well - you can never tell with Wifi and Voice - they were not intended for each other. VoIP requires certain Jitter and Packet Loss criteria to be met by the link - the only way to determine this is to have PC equipment at both ends to measure these but it could vary at any time of day depending on network traffic.  

from TP-Link 5 GHz CPES510 Install Guide

Q3. What is Pharos MAXtream?
Pharos MAXtream is a proprietary protocol developed on the basis
of Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) by TP-Link.
The MAXtream technology has the following advantages:
• Eliminates hidden node collisions and improves channel efficiency.
• Lower latency, higher throughput, larger network capacity and
more stability.
• Improves the QoS for video, voice and sound data stream.
By dividing the timing of transmission into different time slots,
MAXtream allows the Pharos devices to transmit in rapid succession,
one after another, each using its own time slot to transmit and
receive their own frames, which greatly reduces the chance of
collision.
Pharos MAXtream is a non-standard Wi-Fi protocol that is only
compatible with TP-Link’s Pharos series products. Please notice
that you will not be able to connect other Wi-Fi devices to an AP with
MAXtream enabled.

View solution in original post

GavHill

This is fixed wireless NBN connection (I use the hay shed as a repeater into the valley below)

Thanks so much for the info, you can probably tell I'm a little out of my depth here, however after reading your response I first swapped the ubiquity nanostation M2's (2.4G) with the TP Links (5G), then could not get the neighbor's phone to connect at all through the nanostations, buggers me how it works fine to our house.

I then put the units back where they were, and checked the configuration of the TP Links. on the access point low and behold MAXtream was not enabled, and since this will only ever be a point to point bridge (it will not allow another wireless device to connect to the access point if MAXtream is enabled, this is a good thing in this case) so I enabled it, and checked the QoS checkbox as well, and also in the client.

3 phone calls, so far so good but time will tell.

Thanks so much for your help I hope you get paid for this support!!

Gavin Hill
Mkrtich

Smiley Happy Great outcome. You are now an accredited TP-Link Configuration Consultant! Hope it provides consistent voice quality for your neighbour. We are all customers here, so it is good to get feedback on opinions and suggestions. All the best.  

GavHill

Update, many phone calls longer than 1hr with no drop outs, you have made his, and my, day!!!!!

Gavin Hill
Mkrtich

Great to get the positive feedback. I makes it a safe referral for other readers who may have challenges interconnecting remote sites on their properties. Wi-Fi technology is generally associated with internal to home connectivity but it certainly has its place for assisting rural and remote communities getting very affordable access to the Internet. Just for curiosity and my general knowledge, I will do some more research on the Ubiquiti WiFi Link options to see if they have a QoS feature in higher grade models.  

Mkrtich

Hi - the Ubiquiti NanostationM and LocoM Family of products also support QoS through Ubiquiti's proprietary  airMax structured TDMA techniques to provide customers with a customised and controlled Wi-Fi link for Point to Point and Point to Multiple Point applications. This is a different overlay communications technique to traditional In-Home WiFi and specifically designed for inexpensive long range Unlicensed WiFi links allowing customers to assign different levels of priority for traffic types. Having sold Licensed Microwave Radio links in a now distant past career, I am amazed that both suppliers can do that with their respective price points - times have certainly changed.

This is good top level explanation of how they implement their magic, similar to TP-Link.

https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/airmax/UBNT_DS_airMAX_TDMA.pdf 

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit