hkr41
Level 1: Cadet

Which phone is compatible with the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with Voice Backup?

Answered

I received the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with Voice Backup over a month ago now and they said to just plug your phone in and it would work. I have the vetch 17250 phone and unfortunately it doesn't even have a dial tone when I pick it up to ring out. When I call our home number, it goes straight to message bank. Am I correct in thinking that the phone isn't compatible? And if so, which phone would be recommended for a home phone. We all have mobiles but logic is telling me we're paying for the landline so may as well use it. Thank you Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Which phone is compatible with the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with Voice Backup?

The Vtech 17250 should work if you plug the base station into the Green Phone port on the modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Re: Which phone is compatible with the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with Voice Backup?

The Vtech 17250 should work if you plug the base station into the Green Phone port on the modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

hkr41
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for your reply Jupiter. Unfortunately it hasn't decided to work.  Unplugged it and popped the Vtech phone line into the green phone port on the modem and no dial tone.  When I call our home number it goes straight to message bank but the messages aren't even going through to the phone for us to check.  Not sure what the problem is...but thinking it is a little waste having the home phone there?? 

Jupiter

OK. Just to make sure. Is your phone service on an NBN connection or on the old copper connection? If you are on a copper connection, then there should be two cables going from the wall socket to the modem (technically, a cable to a splitter box, then a cable from the splitter to the DSL port and a cable to the grey phone port) to get the phone to work through the modem. If it's an NBN connection, then it should just be a case of connecting the phone to the modem.

On the modem, is the Phone light green?

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit