jasnick
Level 10: Junior Detective

Need interpretation of Global Sim Card account

Answered

sim.JPG

I obtained a free Global Sim card with my travel insurance.  Tested it as instructed before I left home and it all worked. Left for overseas on 29 March and a few hours later tried to send an SMS to a friend.  Didn't work.  I followed the instructions to the letter and still it didn't work.  I had loaded the card with $30 and apparently that ran out on the first day!  On my return I emailed the Global Sim company and asked for an account of where the money went.  I received a listing of calls.

Very strange. It consisted of 59 "calls" plus the test calls I made before leaving. These calls, a sample in  the image above with the last 3 digits blocked out, were only to 3 numbers: my home number that I tried to see if I could get a call through, a friend whose number I inputted before I left home for a test call and didn't call once when overseas and a strange number: 420720001*** I do not recognise. The "calls" were mostly in blocks of 3 to each number with  intervals of a few seconds each. The number I tried to SMS repeatedly is not even listed! It looks as if the phone automatically kept retrying these other numbers at a cost of 45c each time.

I don't understand why  I managed to make test calls initially but the real ones didn't work.  I know I was connected to their network as it showed I was, on the phone.  This is not an experience I wish to repeat so would appreciate it if someone can recognise what went wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Need interpretation of Global Sim Card account

Good morning,

You really do need to contact Global, as any suggestions here would just be guessing.

It could be anything from the sms settings in your phone,  to the sms system Global use, possibly malfunctioning, anywhere from sms sending,  to account compilation.  

It even could be minor corruption when you changed your sms settings in your phone, and whether you rebooted in between changes.  The characteristics of your HTC  phone/software version etc etc etc etc      There's no end to the possibilities. 

It's impossible to give you definite advice.  Maybe someone smarter than me will !!!!!

I think you need to be talking with Global, whose system it is.

Regards

Professor Phone

I'm not a Telstra employee.  I have been a mobile subscriber since 1963.

If my advice has been helpful, a Kudo  "tick"    would be most appreciated.

If my advice has solved your problem, please also mark it as a Solution

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Good morning,

You really do need to contact Global, as any suggestions here would just be guessing.

It could be anything from the sms settings in your phone,  to the sms system Global use, possibly malfunctioning, anywhere from sms sending,  to account compilation.  

It even could be minor corruption when you changed your sms settings in your phone, and whether you rebooted in between changes.  The characteristics of your HTC  phone/software version etc etc etc etc      There's no end to the possibilities. 

It's impossible to give you definite advice.  Maybe someone smarter than me will !!!!!

I think you need to be talking with Global, whose system it is.

Regards

Professor Phone

I'm not a Telstra employee.  I have been a mobile subscriber since 1963.

If my advice has been helpful, a Kudo  "tick"    would be most appreciated.

If my advice has solved your problem, please also mark it as a Solution

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

View solution in original post

jasnick
Level 10: Junior Detective

Yes you're probably correct. I will have to ask them. It's all very strange - I think next time I will just get a Telstra data pack.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

A number starting +420 originates from the Czech Republic.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit