Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

$10 extra data packs

Answered

I am worried that if I sign up for the $10 for 1 gig top up, if I exceed my current 8 gig mobile broadband data (currently slowed till the end of month) by only a few kilobytes I will be charged $10 for a gig which I will only use a small part of. Am I correct in thinking that? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: $10 extra data packs

Obviously you need to pace yourself, I mean obviously with just a few hours to go etc. you wouldn't instigate the topup.

It's basically there say if a quarter of the way into your mopnthly period you find you're low on data and expect to continue through the ballance of the month with steady use, you can get a buffer.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Any TELSTRA mobile/mobile broadband plan. If you are slowed then you are on a Bigpond mobile broadband service, which is covered under different terms and conditions.

The Bigpond Mobile Broadband terms and conditions can be found at https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/consumer-advice/pdf/consumer/bp-part-d.pdf and have no mention of Extra Data as an option.

Also, if you visit https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/mobile-broadband/plans you'll notice the 'Go Mobile' plans mention Extra Data, yet when you switch to the Bigpond tab, all the information around Extra Data disappears.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted

Yes Ronnie, you are correct with that assumption. If you instigate a $10/1gig top-up and only use 50% say, then the other 50% or whatever unused data lapses at the end of the period and start of your usual cycle I'm afraid.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

Highlighted

Even worse, if I unwittingly exceed my limit at a couple of minutes to midnight on my last day of month by a couple of kilobytes there will be a $10 charge for data that I can't use.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Obviously you need to pace yourself, I mean obviously with just a few hours to go etc. you wouldn't instigate the topup.

It's basically there say if a quarter of the way into your mopnthly period you find you're low on data and expect to continue through the ballance of the month with steady use, you can get a buffer.

Signature.gif

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Yup they should have just charged excess data at 1 cent per MB. Paying $10 because you exceeded your allowance by a few MB sounds like a typical Telstra deal.

Highlighted

I think there is some confusion with the answers here.

If you are on a mobile broadband plan that slows the service (Bigpond-branded) then you can't sign up to Extra Data anyway, so the rest of the discussion is moot. You will always be slowed, and you will never be charged for additional data used while slowed.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Takes note #$%^ Next time I will check the heading, Mobile Broadband 3G & 4G. Smiley LOL

Highlighted

I may have misunderstood the ad on Facebook. What I thought it meant was that someone on any mobile data plan including mine could opt in to the new $10 per gyg choice instead of the slow-down, but not opt back out.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Any TELSTRA mobile/mobile broadband plan. If you are slowed then you are on a Bigpond mobile broadband service, which is covered under different terms and conditions.

The Bigpond Mobile Broadband terms and conditions can be found at https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/consumer-advice/pdf/consumer/bp-part-d.pdf and have no mention of Extra Data as an option.

Also, if you visit https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/mobile-broadband/plans you'll notice the 'Go Mobile' plans mention Extra Data, yet when you switch to the Bigpond tab, all the information around Extra Data disappears.

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi, I am in the same boat. I had the feeling the 3 times a year top up was available as an extra data facility. When I couldn't find out how to make 1G/$10 work I also found that the 3 times a year deal is for fixed home line plans only. Is this correct?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey BigWhiteBus,

The 3 usage top ups that we have available for the BigPond service, are for the fixed broadband consumer services in ADSL, Cable, NBN and FTTP. Motre details on this can be located at: 

https://goo.gl/KAcwdF

The 1GB of $10 is available for Mobile Broadband and mobile phone services. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I can't even get connection after going over my limit....it slows so much that i have to use my personal hotspot to connect....this has cost me 4 lots of $10

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Don't be fooled by this Telstra market speak! Its just another way of ripping you off and certainly not in the customers interest.

Look at Telstras justification for double dipping into the NBN process....laughable really!

Highlighted
Level 11: Detective

Its then time to use a phone and call Bigpond to rectify the problem or change the plan.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.
Highlighted

I only got this message for the first time ever and had no idea it was going to occur - Telstra, why don't you publicise or alert you users to this happening without having a chance to opt-in or opt-out before it occurs ? 

Not really happy that I didn't get a choice.   How do I reverse this ?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi bigmouthmedia

This is built into our Go Mobile plans, as a replacement for excess data charges (66.6 MB of data previously cost $10) so for some services, this is part of the contract and covered by the Terms and Conditions and Critical Information Summary for the service, which our customers agree to, when taking up the service. 

For our other customers, with older Mobile plans, it's an opt in service - we do not add it unless it's requested by the customer. For these people, they receive excess data charges instead, which are typically 15c per MB (can be as low as 3c per MB, or as high as 25c per MB depending on the plan). 

Our Live Chat team can let you know if you're on a plan that would allow to change off the Extra Data offer:  http://tel.st/49kl

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit