FurryMarsupial
Level 3: Gumshoe

3G Network

Answered

Have heard a number of storoes that the Telstra 3G netowk is closing in about 18 months time.  Can only find old news about this.  SMS messages have been recieved by some and  oneT outlet  in Qld is saying it is so.

Is this correct and will simple non-4G devices like the Samsung s5511T be redundant

Colin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: 3G Network

It is still on now, although I think they might have turned a couple area off for testing of more LTE variants but mostly still on.

http://exchange.telstra.com.au/2014/07/23/its-time-to-say-goodbye-old-friend/
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Good morning,

Absolutely nothing could be further from the truth!

The WCDMA 3G Network is a million times better than absolutely any other network, on a superb frequency that travels further than any other frequency band.

What you possibly heard was that the  old GSM network is slated to be closed down at the end of 2016.

Thank you

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
FurryMarsupial
Level 3: Gumshoe

Thanks for the reply.

I think the naming is where the confusion is coming from.

Joe Public calls WCDMA 3G "NextG" thanks to Telstra already having a 3G (GSM) network and needing a new name.

I suspect my question is really, will a Smasung 5511T which does UMTS be able to work.

I wasnt aware that 3G GSM was gone in all but capital cities and major regional.

Suppose, if your phone works, you wouldnt know Smiley Wink

DrQ
Accepted Solution

It is still on now, although I think they might have turned a couple area off for testing of more LTE variants but mostly still on.

http://exchange.telstra.com.au/2014/07/23/its-time-to-say-goodbye-old-friend/
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit