dwywit
Level 3: Gumshoe

4G dongle run directly off battery

Answered

Hi - I've acquired a 4g dongle (Huawei E8372) that I'd like to use as a failover for when the landline ADSL goes down. We get "no dialtone" faults every couple of months and the last one took 5 days to resolve.

I only get a decent signal outside the house, on the verandah, and I don't want to set up a laptop just for that purpose - can I plug the dongle directly into a battery pack - one of those portable phone charger packs?

The dongle broadcasts a wi-fi SSID, so is there any reason it needs to plugged into a computer, as opposed to just a power supply?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: 4G dongle run directly off battery

I have a couple of those set up just as you describe..  but plugged into USB chargers. Provided power is available, I connect by Wi-Fi as required.

I haven't tried with a battery bank, but it should work OK, run time will depend on the size of the battery bank of course. But for casual, infrequent use it is a good portable solution..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

I have a couple of those set up just as you describe..  but plugged into USB chargers. Provided power is available, I connect by Wi-Fi as required.

I haven't tried with a battery bank, but it should work OK, run time will depend on the size of the battery bank of course. But for casual, infrequent use it is a good portable solution..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The 4G dongle does not need to be plugged in to a computers USB port for power. It can be plugged into a USB  powered supply and will still broadcast a WiFi signal and provide internet,

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit