brizzie
Level 4: Private Eye

4g LTE modem configuration for ipv6

Is anyone here conversant with Netgear LB2120 LTE modem and if so, can they assist with ipv6 configuration of a Netgear LB2120 LTE modem ? Netgear support is effectively non-existent, ergo I'm searching for information wherever it is likely to exist. The Netgear manual hardly even mentions ipv6 and despite the default router mode, I'm not certain whether or not this device is actually capable of routing anything. It does show an ipv6 address in router mode but what it is capable of doing with that address is an unknown quantity. If I assume the LB2120 cannot route ipv6 addresses and I switch the thing to bridge mode, no ipv6 address is visible. Am I supposed to assume that a more capable router downline of the LB2120 will magically discover the ipv6 addresses that the LB2120 refuses / is apparently incapable of showing ? I realize that the standard Telstra recommendation is a Netgear Nighthawk, however I already have the LB2120 and in any case I would prefer not to have wifi in the modem. Another issue is that the LB2120 in router mode doesn't appear to have any facility to disable NAT, which is superfluous with ipv6 addresses.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: 4g LTE modem configuration for ipv6

Do you already have this User Manual   there might be something to help you in the APN section

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
brizzie

I do have the manual but it is hopefully sparse on ipv6. Seems whoever wrote it thought the mere mention of ipv6 was all that was necessary. To begin with, there is nothing about disabling NAT with ipv6 (which is clearly superfluous), nothing about ipv6 DNS, nothing about ipv6 routing (if indeed the device is capable of this) and nothing about ipv6 in bridge mode). Netgear technical support is farcical and Telstra business support is no better. 

SteveW_52

So start with checking if the device is actually giving a proper IPv6 address by using a browser on a device connected to the modem and then going to somewhere like https://www.whatismyip.com/

to see what is reported?

If that works, try a known site with an IPv6 address..

What have you got the LB2120 connected from (another modem or NTD)?

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

I am wondering if you might be expecting too much from this device? The only time I have used one is to provide a 4G backup service to a modem/router that didn't have 4G fallback built-in. There is only a WAN port and a single LAN port, so I'd suspect planned use would include a full router or at least a switch inboard of the LB2120?

I can understand the wish to forgo the Wi-Fi, but if you want more control/management then a more feature rich router is the best way (and you can turn off WI-FI)..

Stevo 52
brizzie

At present its simply the LB2120 connected directly to 4g. There is no possibility of an alternative service in my area as ADSL is apparently doomed and I don't want a bar of the NBN satellite, or for that matter anything involving CGNAT, hence the need to use ipv6

brizzie

I accept the possibility that I may be expecting too much from an LB2120, although the fact that it has a router mode (by default in fact) suggests that it can actually route. A Netgear sales type (who like most sales types, may or may not know what he is talking about) told me it does everything a Nighthawk does. I had every intention of using a switch at least (which as far as I can figure should be sufficient) and if necessary a proper router in conjunction with the LB2120.  What is frustrating is finding any Netgear or Telstra support type who firstly speaks english, and secondly knows anything about ipv6

SteveW_52

The device has routing capabilities - as in DHCP and the ability to port foward etc, but it isn't comprehensive..  The installation I used one in. only used it for backup on the occassions the main service went down - in the end swapped it out for a better mode/router with 4G capability..  better support and documentation..

Stevo 52
brizzie

What exactly do you mean by control / management ?  Bearing in mind that the Netgear sales type claimed that the LB2120 is identical to the Nighthawk in all respects other than wifi. Not being familiar with either Netgear device, I have no way of telling if what I was told is correct or otherwise. FWIW, I am not inclined to purchase another Netgear product due to the virtually non-existent technical support. Surely there must be some comparable product that is supported in Australia and doesn't involve an offshore call centre.

brizzie

OK .... exactly what 4g modem / router have you found does the job ? I don't mind getting another device but Australian support is always very high on my list of priorities

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

From what I understand, Telstra's network doesn't assign IPv6 PD, so what you are wanting to do is not possible. We are still quite a way from a true, fully functional IPv6 ecosystem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

Telstra Smart Modem 2's will do the job and you can run them with a MBB Data SIM (no NBN)..they can be bought new/sealed/unused from the second hand market for <$50 if you look around

Billion,Draytek, Fritzbox, Dovado, Netcomm etc. make them, and others have the option to plug in a USB dongle for 4G..

In the case of the project I was on, we went with an industrial modem..

I agree, go with something with good support/documentation and hopefully a decent Oz user base..

Stevo 52
brizzie

I'm unfamiliar with the ins and outs of ipv6, consequently a pedantic explanation in words of no more than two syllables is needed here. To the best of my knowledge, there is no issue with getting any suitable 4g modem to recognize ipv6 addresses on a Telstra business 4g connection, however the significance of 'PD' escapes me.

SteveW_52

PD = 'Prefix Delegation'

Stevo 52
Jupiter

Thanks @SteveW_52 

Basically it means that the modem gets an IPv6 address (the first 64 bits of the address), but the devices that sit behind don't get addressed in the same manner (an IPv6 address is 2 64 bit parts joined together - the first 64 bits is the "network" address and the 2nd, the "device").

The Prefix Delegation doesn't get forwarded so you can't directly address the device using an IPv6 address, it goes through the NAT in the same manner as a regular IPv4 setup (and the devices in the network that are behind the Netgear DHCP get IPv4 addresses assigned).

On some networks, with the Netgear LB2120 in Bridge Mode, it does work. It may work on a Telstra Business Broadband connection (I don't have one to be able to test it), but I've seen a lot of posts on forums saying that it doesn't work on most Consumer Mobile Broadband connections (Telstra's included).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
brizzie

So as you understand the situation, the PD issue is a Telstra (consumer) one (rather than a Netgear one) that may or may not apply to Telstra business ? Seems that I need to put that question to my business support operative. 

Is it likely that using a Netgear LB2120 in bridge mode with a proper ipv6 capable router behind it (Telstra business 4g) will avoid the PD issue ?

brizzie

The Telstra business bloke mentioned something about changing PDP type.  Does that sound like its the PD thing that gives issues with 4g consumer connections ? If so, them just maybe the 'changing PDP type' story is the clue. 

SteveW_52

Page 36/37 of the manual will help.. 

PDP allows you to use IPv4/IPv6 or both...  not sure it is the answer to what you are wanting to do though..

Stevo 52
brizzie

What I am trying to do is replace a soon to be extinct ADSL service with a bunch of proper IP addreses with a Telstra business 4g connection running ipv6 as the only workaround I can think of for the CGNAT abortion inflicted on most internet users. Remote access is needed and ipv6 gives me options I wouldn't have otherwise. If you will excuse my ignorance as I know stuff-all about ipv6, is PD and PDP the same thing or are they completely different animals ?  I recall reading about the ipv4 / ipv6 / both selection but its been a hard day and I'm getting very fuzzy, ergo the need for a verbose chapter and verse explanation.

Jupiter

PDP is different. It is Packet Data Protocol and basically is the rules that tell determine the connection type that can be used.

Unfortunately it is a product capability combined with network restrictions. Unfortunately I don't have a Telstra Business Broadband account or a Netgear LB2120 to be able to see if what you want to do will work. I suspect that the Telstra Business Broadband connection will have the same restrictions as the higher level functions tend to only be available on Enterprise Level services.

brizzie

Business centre is looking for info regarding PD provision on a 4g business connection. If that works as I hope, that should be the end of the story. If not, I'll try bridge mode and a proper router. If I understand your contribution correctly, lack of PD doesn't prevent the modem and / or router functioning, its just that there is the issue of NAT ipv4 addresses downstream. If that is unavoidable, I should still be in a position to use either DDNS or VPN to contact the cameras / servers / whatever from a remote location as there will be a public address at my end for the remote connection to contact, unlike the insurmountable obstacle of CGNAT. Is this making sense ?

brizzie

Two additional snippets contributed / confirmed by a 25 year Netgear geek, firstly the LB2120 can recognize ipv6 on the WAN but can only NAT that to give ipv4 on the LAN. That explains why NAT can't be disabled in router mode. Secondly, the only way an LB2120 can handle ipv6 addresses is in bridge mode where the ipv6 addresses are passed through to another router. 

Gradually I am getting a bit of insight into the issues. Providing there aren't any other gotchas, I now seem to have two different options to achieve at least some of what I need. Firstly, VPN / DDNS / port forwarding with the LB2120 in router mode to remotely access LAN machines, and secondly, (if Telstra comes to the party with the prefix designation), direct access hopefully without needing to resort to VPN / DDNS / port forwarding.

Either way, it looks a lot more promising than it would be if I was stuck with CGNAT

Thanks muchly to those who have bought into this business

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit