Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

4GX modem (Caravan travel)

Answered

Can a 4GX modem run on 12 volt? (Caravan travel)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Re: 4GX modem (Caravan travel)

Hi there akprod,

You would need to use a 12v to 5v adapter to power the device via USB. If your caravan is fitted with "cigarette sockets" they are pretty easy to find, however if you're using anderson plugs you would need to look at somewhere like Jaycar. I would be looking at their website as it's best to #StayHome right now.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi there akprod,

You would need to use a 12v to 5v adapter to power the device via USB. If your caravan is fitted with "cigarette sockets" they are pretty easy to find, however if you're using anderson plugs you would need to look at somewhere like Jaycar. I would be looking at their website as it's best to #StayHome right now.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thankyou, we have USB for powering / charging, we have Cig sockets and anderson plugs, plus solar powering 2 x 12v 100h batteries. So all bases covered. Will check on the adapter you mentioned. It's just that we want to have a 4G modem at home and the 12v when we go bush. The 4GX looks a good option to have powered up continuously. Cheers.

@chrishawkeye33 wrote:

Hi there akprod,

Highlighted

This is what you could look at:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/cigarette-lighter-2-way-splitter-with-2-usb-ports/p/PP2136

If you really needed to, you could cut the male cig plug off and wire an anderson plug onto it without too much effort. Best of all, either way you get two cig sockets and two USB ports. If you wanted to go the extra mile, you could wire a latching switch in series on the + wire from the plug-side and then connect it direct to the battery, just don't forget to put a fuse in series before the switch.

If you like, send me a private message and I could knock up a schematic if you need one.

Highlighted

Thanks again, I recently had a (hardwired) 'box' added to the van, it contains 2 x 12v cig plugs, 2 x usb, so the cig plugs would work. It is my understanding that the USB are probably 5V. I also found this https://www.4gltemall.com/blog/huawei-b618s-66d-telstra-4gx-modem-review/ indicating a 12v-2a connection, so I would also consider a regulated 12v feed, as sometimes they go over this in a state of charge. Thanks for you help . Cheers

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit