Devon99
Level 2: Rookie

5G - 4GX home internet

Recently we've signed up with Telstra, the only avaliable home internet we could have with low ping was 5G Mobile Broadband 400gb p/month for around $90, but it gets downgraded since the only close cell tower is a max 4GX tower about 250 meters away from my home (yet I'm still paying for the 5g plan) .. during day times, the Internet goes really slow, it's around 1-3mbps down during the daytime, but the upload is staying at a constant 35+ mbps 24 hours a day, and my ping is spiking constantly to 400-1000+ .. I'm certain this isn't normal.. I was thinking of using a 4GX directional antenna and hoping that would help, but I want to know if there's any sort of solution for my terrible download speeds?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: 5G - 4GX home internet

You could ask Telstra if they intend to upgrade your tower to 5G.

You could run a speed test on your mobile phone (on 4G) and see if it experiences the same speeds.

Devon99

have done all of the above, it's impossible to get in contact with Telstra, I've recently checked a forum page for our area (It's a small town) and they're all experiencing the same problem, around 1mpbs download and high upload speeds.
I've tried repositioning the router, I've tried my mobile 4g network, I've tried changing channels, I've tried switching to directly 3g signal (around the 0.3 mpbs down and up) I've tried direct LAN cable, I've tried going down to the tower to see if the connection improves (it doesn't) 
I'm convinced it may be a direct problem with the tower itself, or something of the sort.
Anything short of sitting on hold with Telstra for 4 hours, I've tried.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Unfortunately it will be congestion with the kids on remote schooling. The upload isn't affected as the teachers are on video, while the students aren't.

I don't think that a directional antenna is going to do much for your situation. You would need to aim it at A station, and the terrain would be blocking you (same problem with aiming at Carrajung).

As for Gormandale getting 5G. That will be a long way off. The population is too low to justify the expense of upgrading the tower. There are a lot more towns in the Valley that will get 5G first (solely on population).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Devon99

it's been occuring before lockdown started, it's basically been there since it was installed, it's only happened a few months ago from what I've been reading from my local area.
The congestion isn't much of the problem, since the download at night time is much the same.
I'm wondering if there's some sort of deal where I can just get Strictly 4GX instead of paying for a 5G connection??
also, when you say 'station' do you mean the tower??? since the tower you speak of is really close to my house, I can see it clearly from my backyard, as it's only down the road.

the 5g install isn't a problem for now, it's just the terrible download speeds on the current 4GX and it being my only plan option avaliable for my area *from my knowledge* 

congestion is just the no brainer reason for the slowdown, but if it was the main issue, I don't think it would still persist at night, since my upload is still 20 mpbs higher during 24 hrs of the day.

Jupiter

I mean Loy Yang A. Sorry, am in Morwell and never use the full name in normal conversation. 

5G is standard on most of the high download plans, there is no discount for not having it.

I assumed that it was congestion as you said it went down to those speeds during the day (implying that they returned to higher speeds in the evening).

You could contact the area manager (Loretta Willaton in Traralgon) and see if she can follow it up.

You can also report the problem to Basestation.Enquiries@team.telstra.com

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Devon99

can you go into further explanation why my Directional Antenna would need to point at Loy Yang, and not the tower down the street? 

Jupiter

Because pointing an antenna at the tower 250m down the street will have no effect on the download speeds that you are getting. You are getting good speeds on the upload, so it is not a signal strength issue. You would need to be pointing at a different tower to overcome that problem as it is a problem of either capacity or a fault at the tower.

Devon99

oh that's a fair point, yeah, I don't think there's any other towers in the area to be able to test it

Jupiter

The terrain isolates you a fair bit. You may be able to get a stray signal from Carrajung (about 6.5km), but the hills will pretty much make it unusable most of the time and Loy Yang A is almost 12km, and again terrain will not be in your favour.

Gormandale is pretty much a one tower town.

Devon99

update for days later, it's currently 3:22 am during this speedtest

Devon99

LBK1220 4GX Internet problems - Low Speeds High Fluctuation

Since my purchase of the Modem and Internet plan for around $120 a month for 400GB Cap, the speeds have been nothing but horrific... if anyone can help me out, would be appreciated.
Download Speeds: currently 1 mpbs (6:29 AM) - usually sits around 2 mpbs and has only ever gone past 20- 3 times since purchase

Upload Speeds: currently 1.7 mpbs (6:30am) - usually a steady 35 but has dropped drastically today to 1

Jupiter

Re: LBK1220 4GX Internet problems - Low Speeds High Fluctuation

Have you emailed Basestation.Enquiries@team.telstra.com to see if they can look into the problem yet?

This is about your only option to get the problem fixed (based on the information that you gave in your other post).

There is nothing else you can do on your side of things to fix the problem.

TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Devon99, thanks for getting in touch. 

What service is this affecting? NBN? Does it happen at a specific time or are the speeds fluctuations random?

Can you try a hard power-cycle of your modem for me? Turn it off at the power for a minimum of 5-10 minutes. Then re-power the modem and turn on. This will force a network update through to your modem and will often fix issues such as this.

Can you please check your address on our outage page https://tel.st/h6ddfx. If there are no official outages listed, please go through our online troubleshooting tool here: https://tel.st/4bm8y6 will guide you through some steps while connected to your modem that will help diagnose any technical issues that could be affecting your services.

Let us know how you go. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jupiter

@TommyR it's their 4GX connection at Gormandale. The speeds are common across the town.

Devon99

It's our 5G 400GB plan with our LBK1220 4GX Router, it's downgraded to 4GX because of our location - Gormandale, Victoria.
I've done as much troubleshooting as possible with no solution yet, I've been in contact with Telstra a few times, but no one's actually followed through, and one even said there was issues with my UPLOAD, when that wasn't the issue I was having.
There's also problems with our entire town, not just me individually.
In fact, I actually have the highest speeds out of most of the town with a 2mpbs download, which is pretty ridiculous.
There's no outages, any troubleshooting I've done hasn't worked either, it's just massive slowdown in speeds for 90% of the time - only registering 20+ mpbs 3 times out of the entire month.

As of this morning, my internet is now slowed down because of reaching our 400gb cap, but as you can see from the download, it's consisted all month.
I might take the advice of Jupiter, and message about getting the Basestation looked at.
If you have any ideas specifically, I'm assuming I'll have to wait for the recharge in 13 days to be able to troubleshoot it.
(I'm with ADLI (Telstra) on my phone plan, and I'm still getting the same speeds with the 4GX on there, so I suspect it's the tower.)

TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Devon99. 

Just checking into see how you went? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Devon99

last Re: LBK1220 4GX Internet problems - Low Speeds High Fluctuation

with what exactly? you kinda just ignored my last message

Mkrtich

@TommyR - unless hardware specifications have recently changed and there is a new product with the same name, may I ask you to pass on these comments to the Telstra Webmaster - this modem is not 5G compliant, does not support the n78 band, and it appears that Telstra are incorrectly showing it has 5G Network Access within the Data Plan details on its web page for both the Medium (75GB) and Large (400GB) options .

@Devon99 - when you do a speed test, do you get the same result with a PC connected to the LAN port of the Router and using the speedtest.net web page rather than the Netgear GUI Graph Screen. Is there also another detailed screen with the Netgear that displays 4G LTE technical readings which relate to signal quality, strength, bandwidth allocation used for Downlink (e.g. 3,5.10,15,20 Mhz)  and Uplink (ditto), Cell ID, adjoining cells etc. that confirms the graphical results. Netgear have had inaccuracies in their Nighthawks in the past when users compare results with the Ookla  speedtest.net site.

I have never seen a 4G LTE FDD downlink so low with a such a high uplink - usually the other way around. I can't even generate that combination with the cell mapper 4G LTE on-line Bandwidth Calculator, so it may be as @Jupiter  suspects an issue with the local tower. Did you get any feedback from the local Telstra contact.  

Jupiter

Nowhere does it state that the Orbi is 5G compatible. The product page states that it is a 4GX device.

It is only the Medium and Large Data plans that indicate that 5G access is included (which is correct). Plan inclusions are separate to device capability, it's the same on phone plans.

We've been through all this on their other post which I will now merge this with as it's crazy having two for the same issue.

Mkrtich

Thanks for pointing out the Telstra marketing nuance - the purpose of my referral to the Telstra Support person was for the text to be reviewed and hopefully edited. I didn't state that Telstra shows the Orbi as a 5G device - I stated that two of its associated plans show 5G Network Access for their fees which is misleading.

Does it actually make sense to you that when a customer selects a 4GX device to rent and then gets asked to select a plan that accompanies it, that it shows two optional plans that have 5G Network Access in Bold type as a feature of your selected plan - why not have a qualifier in this page stating 'applies to 5G devices only'.  

Jupiter

The plans are pulled from the database using standard coding (so that it doesn't have to be recreated for each page that they appear on). The details of "5G network access" are shown if you click on the link for it and quite clearly states that a 5G device is required to be able to access it. It all comes back to people need to read all the terms and conditions of product or service before committing to purchase.

Sometimes I feel that I must be the only person who bothers with doing it.

Devon99

I don't use their GUI, i only use speedtest, yes there is signal quality, it's: 
RSRP: -88
RSRQ: -11
SIGNAL QUALITY: -58
STRENGTH: 5 BARS
NETWORK TYPE: LTE (FDD)
Uplink is 723
Downlink is 778
Band is 28
Cell ID: 201
as for the 5G mislead, I understand you mean, it's stupid seeing a 5g plan being marketed with a 4GX only device.. I'd much rather a 4g plan, since I'm paying extra for no reason.. but that's sadly not an option, I've checked.
I contacted baystation email, they said "I have passed this onto our engineers to investigate." now wether or not something happens, is another story.
It's an ORBI - idk if that's a sort of nighthawk, but yes. 4GX only.

Mkrtich

Thanks for your feedback. Good quality connection as expected. I didn't realise that speedtest.net had a graphical feature, so good to know. Hopefully the local tower issue may be addressed by Telstra in the short term.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit