Monaas
Level 1: Cadet

5G home internet on byo modem

Answered

HI, looks like I can get 5G at home. I obtained a Huawei B818-263 (same as what was offered by Telstra before HTC and mMwave pro), however it is from Optus. These are supposed to be unlocked.

Before committing to the sim data plan, question is, will the 5G Telstra sim work in the B818? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: 5G home internet on byo modem

Hi - to test if the modem is unlocked, suggest you use your Telstra 4G LTE SIM in it for connection. It is a highly capable CAT 19 modem using up to 4x4 MIMO and possible 4 or 5 Channel Aggregation which would give 5G a good run for its money. The Huawei connected to a 4G robust Telstra network, perhaps overloaded at times, may provide a stronger signal strength ( operating at 700 Mhz, 1800 Mhz and 2600 Mhz) subject to location.

There is no sign of any n78 frequency support in the Huawei B818-263 used by Telstra 5G (3575-3655 Mhz) in the specifications, so I don't know if a 5G SIM would work downgraded to 4G mode only or not work at all. Maybe the Telstra Shop personnel could confirm or even test for you in store with your modem.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Hi - to test if the modem is unlocked, suggest you use your Telstra 4G LTE SIM in it for connection. It is a highly capable CAT 19 modem using up to 4x4 MIMO and possible 4 or 5 Channel Aggregation which would give 5G a good run for its money. The Huawei connected to a 4G robust Telstra network, perhaps overloaded at times, may provide a stronger signal strength ( operating at 700 Mhz, 1800 Mhz and 2600 Mhz) subject to location.

There is no sign of any n78 frequency support in the Huawei B818-263 used by Telstra 5G (3575-3655 Mhz) in the specifications, so I don't know if a 5G SIM would work downgraded to 4G mode only or not work at all. Maybe the Telstra Shop personnel could confirm or even test for you in store with your modem.

View solution in original post

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

I don't believe there is a 5G SIM as such..  all my plans have become 5G enabled apparently (shown on My Account) but no SIM change involved.  So it is provisioning on the number, plus a capable handset that determines 5G use (No good to me, no 5G where I am)..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Monaas
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks @Mkrtich and @SteveW_52.

Great suggestions. Might get into a Telstra shop.

On my mobile I have sometimes good (200Mpbs) and sometimes average (~10Mbps) dl speed on Telstra  4G, dependent on congestion, signal etc. Have just been connected to nbn (from cable) and not happy atm so looking for other options.

SteveW_52

If you are considering using 4G Wireless Broadband, it will work but be careful of data use, especially if you are streaming. While the Huawei B818-263 is a good 4G modem, it does not seem to support the Telstra 5G bands, so you might be stuck at 4G for that..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit