duffa
Level 2: Rookie

5G Internet Modem MU500

Answered

I have a MU500 5G modem and cannot remote to cameras from phone outside of premises.

Originally this was setup on an NBN modem/router and I selected the MU500 as it allows port forwarding. Is it possible that Telstra have the ports blocked on the 5g network.?

I understand that the  IP changes on mobile but I have set a dynamic DNS to cater for this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as this does not work on 5G whereas it did on nbn.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
duffa
Accepted Solution

Re: 5G Internet Modem MU500

Hi Jupiter,

Thanks for your response.

I have the Mu500 wired(its ethernet port) to a switch that has the NVR and cameras - so it is basically hardwired.I have set the port forwarding to the NVR for remote access- which was the case of the previous NBN service.

What I cannot do is see the WAN IP address from outside (I can detect it from the inside). Ports are open from the inside.

This leads me to think that the service is private IP and has ports blocked. I am using a Telstra 5G sim.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Check the power save settings on the MU500. It turns the wifi off automatically after a certain period of inactivity.

Also, check the firewall and port forwarding settings.

And make sure that the IP type in the APN settings allows for IPv4 (sometimes it can be set for IPv6 only and some devices don't like that).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
duffa
Accepted Solution

Hi Jupiter,

Thanks for your response.

I have the Mu500 wired(its ethernet port) to a switch that has the NVR and cameras - so it is basically hardwired.I have set the port forwarding to the NVR for remote access- which was the case of the previous NBN service.

What I cannot do is see the WAN IP address from outside (I can detect it from the inside). Ports are open from the inside.

This leads me to think that the service is private IP and has ports blocked. I am using a Telstra 5G sim.

View solution in original post

cf4

The modem's connected to the mobile broadband network don't have a public IPv4 address. This is the reason you can't access camera's remotely. Telstra is not blocking any ports on 5G except 25.

If your MU500 doesn't have an IPv6 address on the WAN you could change APN settings so that it request both an IPv6 and IPv4 address. The IPv6 address should be public and you should be able to use this address to access cameras. You will need to set up IPv6 Dynamic DNS and port forwarding.

Jupiter

How have you got your Dynamic DNS set up (I can't see any settings in the modem to cater for it), and if you go to your provider, can it see the updated IP address?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
duffa

Hi Guys

Thanks for replies.

The dynamic dns is set outside of modem (as it doesn't cater for it). I basically try to access the IP4 address via a dns record that periodically checks for the change in IP4 address.

I did notice when looking for the wan IP that the IP6 address is there(first) and it takes time to get the IP4 address (10 secs or so).

Interestingly, I have  Teamviewer setup and it works but this looks like it is using ip6 - so is that what I need to do - setup the cameras via IP6 and not IP4?

Jupiter

If your cameras and Dynamic DNS provider are capable of using IPv6, it would definitely be worth a shot.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit