Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

5G on Wifi Pro 5G

Hi, I had two Nighthawk Mobile broadband 4G modems - running great.

When I logged to My Telstra account in I noticed a message that said "We've upgraded your plan to include 5G network access for no extra cost. 5G rolling out in selected areas. 5G compatible device required." ... Great I thought. I checked my area for coverage and the Telstra map said that outside and inside coverage is Predicted to get 5G coverage and the pink in blanketed over my house.

I dropped down to the local Telstra store and bought 2 Telstra Wifi Pro 5G mobile broadband modems. Apparent (according to the guy in the store) if I have coverage and I have access on the plan I should be golden. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case. I have updated both modems. Configured them to 5G only. Restarted them. Held my tongue to left, and right. And still it only connects via 4G.

What am I missing? I'd love to talk to a tech about this - but trying to work out exactly -how- to do that is also mystery. In summary, 5G map says I have coverage. Plan says I have 5G access. Device is 5G capable. end result. It still only has 4G. What gives? What is wrong? Coverage map? Plan? Device?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: 5G on Wifi Pro 5G

The coverage maps can be a bit optimistic..  the only way to be sure is to use a 5G device (with a signal measurement app) or an RF Spectrum Analyser. As frequencies get higher, in general terms the range (coverage) reduces. So while a map might show coverage, in reality there a black spots and low signal areas. I know of several places where 5 m makes all the difference to receiving 5G. Theoretically if you have coverage, and the correct devices, you should be OK, but.....   even set to use 5G they will fall back to 4G is the signal is poor, so as to give you a better speed experience - no point being on 5G if the data rate is low?? Local tower congestion also contributes to the issue.

Take your modems  out for a little drive and see if you pick up any 5G, especially closer to your local tower? I'd suggest using a laptop to run speedtests in the process. That way you will get a real world' example of 5G coverage. Don't forget the popcorn and Coca Cola...  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

I had thought of a drive to see what works... and will do that. I glibly assumed that since I could see the tower from my back deck I would have a better than a "crap chance" of it working.

Highlighted

oh... and just measured the distance (line of sight) between my place and the tower. 572m according to google maps.

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Depends if the tower you can see has 5G capability..  

https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=505&MNC=1&type=NR&latitude=-27.2626&longitude=152.969&zoom=11&sho...

You'll probably have to point that to your location.. 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit