Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Can’t make my sim work in pocket wifi

I am 63 and not technical.  I was on the phone to a Telstra rep about another subject when we got onto my Optus home internet.  She said it would be cheaper for me for her to send me a sim which I could put in my old Vodafone pocket WiFi that I haven’t used since 2017.

It arrived with no instructions so I put it in and my iPhone shows that I am connected to the pocket WiFi but I can’t  get onto the internet.

I would very much appreciate advice on what to do.

Jan

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Re: Can’t make my sim work in pocket wifi

Hi - the mobile pocket Wi-Fi unit may be set to Optus frequencies which may be altered to Telstra frequencies in the Settings section. What is the model number of the Optus unit?

Highlighted

Are you talking about my home Optus WiFi that I am cancelling or are you talking about the new WiFi I’m having trouble with?

The new WiFi is as a Telstra SIM card that I have put in a Vodafone pocket WiFi from 2017. Model R216h.

Highlighted

Sorry for the typo confusion, I haven't had experience with Vodafone before and hope this may be of assistance and doesn't overload you with too many references.

I am assuming the device is unlocked* but has kept its Vodafone configuration settings. When you connect to the R216h with your Wi-Fi connected PC, in the Status panel view, according to the Quick Start Guide, it shows 'Network - vodafone AU 4G' which uses its associated Mobile Internet Access Point Name (APN) setting 'live.vodafone.com'. There must be a menu that allows you to change the Network name by typing in Telstra and enable you to edit the Telstra APN to 'telstra.internet'. Save the setting. 

I am not sure if there are any other setting changes to apply as I haven't been able to find a detailed Huawei R216h user guide on the web. I would assume if the Frequency selection menu was left on 'Auto' selection, it will connect you to whatever available Telstra frequencies are broadcasting in your area. Some Mobile Hotspot devices don't support all frequencies in locations. According to the Whirlpool post, the R216h supports these frequencies - 4G 800/850/1800/2100/2600 Mhz LTE Cat 4. Of these, Telstra broadcast on 1800, 2100 and 2600 Mhz depending on your location.

* References 

1. Post 2013 - unlocked and process to follow if locked

https://www.vodafone.com.au/support/device/unlock

2. Vodafone Quick Start Guide R216h  https://www.vodafone.com.au/support/device/mobile-broadband-guides. Select the Quick Start Guide only.  It also lists the firmware V5.1 Update - the other Instructions relate to the Upgrade and are not the full user guide for the R216. 

3. Whirlpool list of Vodafone and Telstra APN codes https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/mobiles_apn

4. Whirlpool good summary by cable99 on R216h frequency support  https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2604574

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The most likely reason why the Vodafone unit isn't working is because it is locked to Vodafone. You will need to go to the Vodafone unlocking site to get it working https://unlock.vodafone.com.au/

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

I have gone on to the Vofafone unlock section and it was not locked. Thanks for trying to help me though

Highlighted

Thank you for trying to help me. I finally got a Telstra technician on the line who told me that SIM card they sent is not compatible with the Vodafone pocket wifi (even though the Telstra sales lady said it would be ok).  I have to go to the Telstra shop and buy one of their models.

i appreciate all of your help

Jan

Highlighted

Thanks for your feedback. That was an unexpected response by the technician. I have used an Aldi SIM (Telstra) from my iPhone in an Optus Mobile Broadband Modem without issue. If your local shopping mall has a Vodafone Shop, it may pay to get a second opinion in case they can configure the Vodafone R216h with your Telstra SIM before you make a decision to buy another device. All the best. 

Highlighted

Yes, I was surprised too but there is no Vodafone shop near me plus the battery is probably had it as I haven’t used it for 3 years so will just buy a Telstra one.  Thanks for all of your excellent advice.

Jan

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit