CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Can't send email with Telstra Elite pre-paid WiFi MF60

Answered

I picked up a MF60 unit last week which seems to work ok however I find that I am not able to send outbound email from either my laptop or my iPad when I am connected to it.  On the laptop (using Thunderbird) I get a server IP address rejected message mentioning spamhaus. On the iPad it just says there has been a problem.

The iPad works fine when I disconnect the WiFi connection to the MF60 and go via Optus 3G.

The laptop works fine when connected to other wireless networks. My email account (and thus incoming/outgoing mail server settings) is with GrapeVine (ACT ISP now owned by iiNet).

As I bought the MF60 mainly to allow email on the go it is kind of frustrating.

Would be grateful for any thoughts. Does being connected to the internet via Telstra somehow subject me to some form of filtering/checking in terms of connections to mail servers?

Regards,

MD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Can't send email with Telstra Elite pre-paid WiFi MF60

I believe iiNet has a secure email server you may be able to use. Otherwise you will need to set you outgoing servers to mail.bigpond.com to send email via a Telstra connection.

-- // --
Ex Telstra Employee - 2010 - 2017

Views I express on this forum are personal and will be in an attempt to offer support as needed.

There can be times when I will offer views or opinions on topics. These do not and should not reflect on anyone but myself and do not reflect upon Telstra in anyway

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

I believe iiNet has a secure email server you may be able to use. Otherwise you will need to set you outgoing servers to mail.bigpond.com to send email via a Telstra connection.

-- // --

Views I express on this forum are personal and will be in an attempt to offer support as needed.

There can be times when I will offer views or opinions on topics. These do not and should not reflect on anyone but myself and do not reflect upon Telstra in anyway

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for the tip - trying it but no luck so far, what security settings should I specify for the outgoing server (trying to use the bigpond one).

MD

Highlighted

Interesting, as an aside I can't seem to bring up google.com in a browser with this device...

About to give up.

Highlighted

So email seems to be working now using mail.bigpond.com with no authentication.

I'll try to track down a secure iiNet option which will work so that I don't have to change the settings all the time as I'm guessing bigpond will only work for me when I am connected via their network.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Now to tackle the google problem...

MD

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Not a problem.

If the question that was asked is now resolved could you please make the Solution message as such. This will help others having similar issues.

-- // --

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit