Level 1: Cadet

ceasing prepaid international roaming

Hi,

I'm stuck in the UK & have been here since February with little chance of getting back to Australia before the New Year (& even then it's fingers crossed). I have a Telstra prepaid broadband dongle that I haven't been able to use in the UK. The cut-off date for my current prepaid broadband data capacity is early next year (2021). I have difficulty even getting Internet reception here in the UK on a local service because I'm in the mountains in N Wales.

Does anyone know how I can use the dongle in the UK?

I've just been informed that on 13 October Telstra are ceasing international broadband roaming on my current device anyway. Which means presumably even if I can find out how to use the dongle in the UK I only have a fortnight to use the remaining data capacity that I've already paid for (because i won't be back in Australia to use credit I still have).

I haven't been able to contact Telstra to sort this out. So has anybody got any suggestions?

Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 21: Augmented

Re: ceasing prepaid international roaming

Your situation is one of the many that are badly impacted by the current Telstra approach to customer support and you probably have limited options available. Crowdsupport  is mostly populated with consumers just like you, who try to help where they can, but there is not much of a Telstra presence here to actually ACT on customers requests. @DanK  

It used to be that your dongle and data SIM would roam and lock to a UK service allied to Telstra but it sounds like your location may prevent that. Not knowing what your device is, it should be possible to get to the device homepage (if you plug it in to a laptop/PC you should be able to find your IP address and gateway IP. Log in to the device with the Gateway IP) and then see if you can find and select a local network.

Otherwise you will need to unlock your pre-paid dongle before you can use it with a local provider SIM over there That might take some time to do under present Telstra reduced levels of support and difficulties getting in touch with someone at Telstra, and there is likely to be a cost to it (but you could argue that case I think, as they are withdrawing a service you have already paid for?). 

Seeing how it doesn't work at present, the quickest solution might be to get a new prepaid broadband dongle/wingle from a local supplier (good idea to unlock it from the network as soon as possible) and use that while you remain over there. Not ideal but will keep you working while you deal with Telstra to get your current device unlocked. At that stage you can transfer the sim from the new one to the Telstra device if you really want to want to. 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Level 21: Augmented

Re: ceasing prepaid international roaming

I had a look back at UK providers I used with Telstra over the last few years -  O2, Vodafone, Everything Everywhere, Hutchison 3G UK Ltd were all used at different times/years.

I can remember using Virgin as well, but that might have been on Virgin hardware roaming.

If you get to the home page of the mobile broadband device, then in the network are do a scan and see if you come up with any of those services then try and connect to them. But, as I mentioned earlier I remember it all happening pretty much automatically when turning on the device in the UK for the first time - hunted for a while then locked on.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit