Raptor76
Level 2: Rookie

Connecting Netgear mr2100 to orbi rbr20 with two satellites

Answered

I'm hoping to connect my newly acquired Netgear mr2100 to the orbi setup that I have. My orbi setup works perfectly with the satellite NBN from sky mesh. I can access remotely and I have circle enabled. My issue is that satellite only gives me 80gb peak data a month and with two teenage girls this disappears within 14 days and the devastation is more than my partner and I can handle. Fast forward to today and I've tried each solution I can find online to connect the mr2100 as the router to the orbi as the access point for everything to connect to as it was with the sky mesh setup. If I set the orbi to AP, I lose access to using the app and lose circle and we need that for parental control and time limits etc. If I set the mr2100 to IP passthrough, it also doesn't work. I specifically asked if this could be done prior to leaving jb hi-fi as I didn't want to get home to find out I couldn't do what I wanted. I was told it could be done. Is there someone out there that has done this, who can tell me what settings need to be implemented on both the mr2100 and the orbi system. At the moment, plugging the cat5 cable from the only port on the Netgear mr2100 into the ethernet port doesn't work, I have to connect it to the internet port on the orbi and that's bypassing the orbi so and the circle parental controls. I'm not a genius when it comes to this, but I've got some technical knowledge. Failing that, is there a better router I could have bought that will perform the duties I require? We have no telephone line, we only have mobile broadband or satellite NBN to choose from. Thankfully the Telstra tower recently got upgraded near where we live so we can actually get mobile reception to enable the mobile broadband.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Connecting Netgear mr2100 to orbi rbr20 with two satellites

Hi - maybe try this and let us know if it works. Both devices share the same IP range 192,168.1.1, which will cause a conflict thus preventing successful Internet connections. With cascading routers there will always be some compromises, so if you wish to use the Netgear as a 4G front end Gateway leaving the existing Orbi arrangements as is, which makes sense , the IP address and associated range in the Netgear needs to be altered to a non conflicting address e.g 192.168.15.1 and range 192.168.15.2 - 192.168.15.x  ; ending digit may be defined by Netgear but usually 254. Choose whatever range you prefer to use.You could also turn OFF the Netgear WiFi as you must have good coverage with the two Orbi satellites.

The Ethernet port of the Netgear is dual function LAN/WAN - it needs to be set for LAN unless it auto detects that as default. Don't select WAN option ( used for  Data Offloading) as that is designed to send 4G data traffic back through a landline inter-connected other modem when the 4G cell is overloaded or you wish to minimise your 4G data download allowance - not applicable to you. 

In setting this up you end up with two separate inter-connected networks (double NAT ) and as the front facing Netgear network is 4G, I think you won't be able to remote access into any device on its LAN side ( including the Orbi Network) as it is using Carrier Grade NAT - public IP address is hidden. In the back of my mind, I recall reading a post last year regarding an issue with interconnecting the Netgear to another switch or router, but can't remember what is was - I am not sure if that LAN port was limited for a PC only connection ? 

If it works for you, suggest to remove the Netgear battery as they can deteriorate or expand over time if the modem is on 24/7 and therefore does not get a chance to be discharged.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Hi - maybe try this and let us know if it works. Both devices share the same IP range 192,168.1.1, which will cause a conflict thus preventing successful Internet connections. With cascading routers there will always be some compromises, so if you wish to use the Netgear as a 4G front end Gateway leaving the existing Orbi arrangements as is, which makes sense , the IP address and associated range in the Netgear needs to be altered to a non conflicting address e.g 192.168.15.1 and range 192.168.15.2 - 192.168.15.x  ; ending digit may be defined by Netgear but usually 254. Choose whatever range you prefer to use.You could also turn OFF the Netgear WiFi as you must have good coverage with the two Orbi satellites.

The Ethernet port of the Netgear is dual function LAN/WAN - it needs to be set for LAN unless it auto detects that as default. Don't select WAN option ( used for  Data Offloading) as that is designed to send 4G data traffic back through a landline inter-connected other modem when the 4G cell is overloaded or you wish to minimise your 4G data download allowance - not applicable to you. 

In setting this up you end up with two separate inter-connected networks (double NAT ) and as the front facing Netgear network is 4G, I think you won't be able to remote access into any device on its LAN side ( including the Orbi Network) as it is using Carrier Grade NAT - public IP address is hidden. In the back of my mind, I recall reading a post last year regarding an issue with interconnecting the Netgear to another switch or router, but can't remember what is was - I am not sure if that LAN port was limited for a PC only connection ? 

If it works for you, suggest to remove the Netgear battery as they can deteriorate or expand over time if the modem is on 24/7 and therefore does not get a chance to be discharged.

View solution in original post

Raptor76

Thank you for that. I will try that once I get home in the morning, dreaded night shift tonight! I've already taken the battery out as this is going to be a very fixed solution at least for a couple of years. As I've only just bought the mr2100 I'm not entirely sure how to turn off the wifi is but yes, orbi has massive range hence me wanting to go down that road. I have found a setting whereby I can have the Netgear router not broadcast it's Ssid, if that is what you're referring to? I'll also see how to change the IP address range as that would certainly cause conflict, I hadn't even thought of that! I'm not too concerned about the remote access, but I would still like to have access whilst I'm home to orbi app and circle parental control. If however that's something I must lose I understand. Thanks for the reply. 

Mkrtich

Hi - Disabling the Netgear MR2100 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz radios will usually prevent the SSIDs from broadcasting, but some routers also have the ability to Hide the SSID and still broadcast the signal. You don't have to turn OFF the Netgear MR2100 WiFi Bands. Just thought if you leave these radios Enabled , you will be able to continue to access the Netgear MR2100 Admin screens ON from a wireless device, so actually better to leave ON. 

The Orbi App and Circle should still operate as is on the Orbi Router, all you are doing is replacing the existing WAN link service ( NBN Satellite) and taking its Ethernet cable and connecting it to the Netgear LAN port to provide you an alternative route to the Internet. Allows you to experience both WAN Options when required. 

Raptor76

Thanks again for the clear and concise information. Yes, I thought just removing the ethernet cable from the sky mesh satellite system and plugging it into the Netgear LAN port would be as hard as this process was going to get... Alas... Once I get home, I'm going to factory reset the orbi so it's back to out of box settings which is what worked perfectly with satellite until I started messing around. I'm also going to factory reset the Netgear router and assign it to the new IP address and IP Range to accommodate all the devices etc we have and hopefully fingers crossed the are no conflicts elsewhere in the system. I'm really looking forward to this being the answer because I've tried setting the orbi specifically to AP mode and different variations of settings so far so to no avail. I'll let you know how I go. Judging on other forums, I'm not the only one with this issue so your expertise might help quite a few others out as well.

Raptor76

My good sir,

You are being hailed as a legendary technical wizard in our household at this point in time! As soon as I changed the IP address, everything worked like I initially imagined it would. I can use the orbi app again. Still having a couple of issues with circle, but that's not internet or connection related. Benefit to having the separate IP addresses is I can access admin privileges on both routers independently to change things as necessary. Thank you so very much for your reply. Thank you for explaining things clearly and most importantly thank you for being correct.

Mkrtich

Thank your for your kind feedback, appreciated. I think I would describe myself rather as an avid reader of technology matters  - occasionally some of my suggestions work. Yes, having access to both systems is a better arrangement for management. All the best. 

Raptor76

Well in this instance, it worked perfectly. Also got Circle working this afternoon, completely forgot about turning it on in the admin interface of the orbi router after the hard reset. Got there in the end. Many thanks once again. All the best to you too.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit