Jeffe01
Level 1: Cadet

Data Pack Ripoff: Anyone else?

I have a Telstra mobile number that I only use for my home broadband. Mobile phones don't work way out here in Alpine National Park. I buy a data pack; used to be 3 gb but now is 8 gb (I use my computer a lot!). I have been told by Telstra reps that of course if I go over my data usage, I'll get dinged pretty good for the overage. Fair enough. So I keep real good tabs on my usage. Unfortunately, when I see I'm close to my limit and buy a new pack, I lose all my remaining data. If I wait too long and use it up, I have large overages, so its not just a matter of waiting to the last minute (I was told by a rep that even though I buy a new package before the old one runs out, it takes up to 24 hours for Telstra, a high-tech company, to "process", and that if during that 24 hours my data goes over, well, sorry, you'll be charged!) But the real rip-off comes because due to me being a good boy and very careful and leaving 200, 300, 400 or more megabytes of data unused. When I get the new package, Telstra wipes what's left rather than tacking it on to my new pack, even though I've already paid for it. Has anyone else found this to be an example of legalized stealing by a large corporation?

By the way, I also find it rather frustrating that purchasing a new data pack online is about as arcane as the horse and buggy. In order to purchase one, even from within my own logged-in account, clicking the button takes me out of my logged-in account, into a vast array of pages requesting my credit card, passport number, medicare number, fingerprints, first born and so on. Pretty weird. I would have thought if you were logged into your account already, and have a registered credit card tied to that account with an auto-pay, that all you should have to do is simply click a button to purchase a new pack and be done, instead of make yet another phone call to Telstra.

Rant done.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Juzman
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Re: Data Pack Ripoff: Anyone else?

@Jeffe01 wrote:

I would have thought if you were logged into your account already, and have a registered credit card tied to that account with an auto-pay, that all you should have to do is simply click a button to purchase a new pack and be done, instead of make yet another phone call to Telstra.

Rant done.

Can't help with the first part, but in regards to adding a datapack onto your service, have you instead tried just Live Chat? It should be as simple as providing name / DOB and simply asking for a datapack, may be quicker than having to make another call to Telstra.

Bosco74
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Data Pack Ripoff: Anyone else?

You're going to love what's coming up Jeffe...
Hey guys, I can't start a new topic, so hope this will get picked up. I've done what the OP has done for the last 6 months, I usually have 8gb plus the 1gb from my plan monthly, then when I get close to running out, I downgrade to a 3Gb till that runs out, then I bump it back up to 8gb, and after the pro Rata thing, it's not too big of a price increase, as opposed to getting slugged for going over. Anyway, I tried to do this tonight via 24/7 and was told there is no 8gb pack any more, it's now $60 for 6gb or $100 for 10Gb.
How does telstra expect customers to be okay with losing 2gb for the same price?
The optus offers are looking pretty good at this stage...

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit