Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Data SIM activation

We have approx 80 notebooks with Data SIM's in them and need more to ensure all employees can work remotely.

Just received this response from our dealer

"unable to proceed with the data activations until the contact centres in the Philippines have re-opened.

This may not be for at least another week unfortunately."

Are you serious Telstra????

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Data SIM activation

That could be a serious issue for many businesses.

@ashliem is this something that you can flag with the higher ups please and see if there is a mitigation being worked on?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

One would expect that a comms company would have contingency for same.

Years ago, I worked at Optus and did their disaster recovery strategy - while the powers that be, just wanted to know about switching to backup servers, I insisted on all sorts of scenarios, from senior IT Admins being incapacitated, in conjunction with a fire. Rule 1: If things are going to go bad, then they will happen in threes.

I am reminded of Auckland Power outages a decade or two back - A certain financial comnpany switched to their "Standby" generators - standby, being the operative word - not designed for long sustained use, and never properly serviced.  One threw a piston rod, and burst into flame. The overhead sprinklers cut in, but they were on the same circuit as sprinklers in the computer room - the computer room was protected by inert gases, but no one had unplumbed the sprinkers which were above a false ceiling, which absorbed the water for about 30 seconds, and then disintegrated. They had a hot standby location, but the switching gear was in the area that flooded. Bad things attract other bad things.

Old IT/Comms curmudgeon - did tech support for Alcatel System 12 Exchanges in my day - designed a bunch of stuff for Optus.
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for flagging this with me @Jupiter - let me look into it and see what I can find out. I'll come back with any further information once I have it! 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Good morning,

Can I ask if there is any update to this please?

We are now facing an office shutdown requiring us to work from home and are in need of these additional data SIM activations as soon as we can get them.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @Walton1 

Thank you for your patience with this one, and I apologise for the issues you've experienced.

Have you been able to activate these SIM's yet? If not, I've been advised that you should be able to do this online through Your Telstra Tools.

You can find instructions on how to do this here.

(Please see under Manage your services > To activate replacement SIM)

I hope this is helpful? Please let me know if I can assist further!

EDIT:

Hi @Walton - My apologies, I've just seen your reply confirming that you haven't been able to resolve this yet. Please let me know if the above works for you? Thank you again.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

I also have had issues activating data SIM. Have received email that activation is in progress but no further emails to advise it has been completed.  I also raised this on this forum several days ago. Can I do this as well even if the activation is in progress?

Thanks for the reply. I will look into it now.

Highlighted

I have looked at that and I can activate a replacement SIM to replace a current one, but not new SIMs.

So we wait.

Highlighted

Rats that means it won't work for me either as I have a new SIM.  Hope you don't mind following your issue as I have not had a response to the one which I raised a few days ago.

Highlighted

No problem GaryJ1.

I think Telstra are as smashed as everyone else at the moment so not sure about timing of an outcome.

Not much we can but wait.

Highlighted

Hence the reason I have not bothered to ring or use any other method to contact them. I guess we just have to wait it out and see.  I am a restricted to walking with walker (or having someone help me) and want to have a way to access my bank and pay bills if I cannot get out or no one can help me either through self or forced isolation. Just wanting to set this up in case this happens.Just pray it does not get to this.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @Walton and @GaryJ1 

I'm sorry to hear this hasn't resolved the issue. I'll keep looking for an answer for you both, and will let you know what I can find out!

Apologies again, and thank you for your patience. 

Highlighted

Has there been in update on this? Has been over a week since your last comment.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @GaryJ1 

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a solution yet - I'm currently waiting on further advice on how we could resolve this. I'll be sure to keep this thread updated with what I can find out. 

Having another read through your comments though, it appears that your issue may be different to that of the original poster. Are you also seeking assistance with SIMs on a business account? 

Highlighted

No it is a Personal pre paid data SIM trying to activate. I have attached a copy of the order and advice that activation is underway.Initial email for activation

Highlighted

Finally got SIM set up.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit