kevincoppalotti
Level 1: Cadet

Faster modem?

I have a bigpond 7.2 wireless broadband modem. Is it possible to buy a faster modem? one that will accept an external antenna? Current speed usually less than 1mb/sec no matter where I go.

I live in a rural area and wireless is my only option until the NBN arrives in 20 years. 4G coverage maps look vague at best, plus I move around rural south east queensland a lot.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Steph
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Faster modem?

Hi kevincoppalotti, 

You can take up a 4G USB modem, and then even if you aren't in a 4G coverage area, the device will drop to the highest speeds available in the area. So it will work anywhere there is coverage, at the highest speeds available in the area.

However, the best thing is that if you do manage to be in a 4G area the speeds will be up to 42 Mbps which is unbelievable.

It also take an external antenna so you can get the best coverage and speed possible. 

You can either buy the modem outright for $299.00 plus $9.95 delivery or recontract  your Mobile Broadband Service for 24 months and get the device free (just pay postage), or you can pay it off in installments over 24 months. 

I'd be happy to arrange one for you if you'd like, just send me a Private Message. (Just click on my name, and then on the right hand side of my Profile is a button to message me)

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Faster modem?

great option if you're in the position to be able to afford it or recontract your service Smiley Wink
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit