hyppolyte
Level 8: Inspector

Firmware Update for WIFI advanced II (Aircard 790s)

Is anyone still experiencing the "Detecting Service" or "Data Use not Available" on the home screen of their 790s?

My device has stayed locked on Detecting Service with firmware download errors since January from this thread:

wifi-advanced-ii-aircard-790s-cannot-show-remaining-data-or-days 

Because I am beta testing the Cloudflare App, tonight I changed the APN from telstra.internet with PDP set to IPV4 to telstra.wap with PDP set to IPV4V6. Almost instantly a 76MB update was offered, downloaded and installed.

Firmware was upgraded from NTG9X35C_11.11.08.00 (2016/01/29) to NTG9X35C_11.11.17.00 (2019/01/10)

The 790s is now showing data usage on home screen and web page.

As I have not used the device since May and put a new sim in it, the APN change may be a coincidence, but it was on for an hour before I made the setting change and that's when the Firmware update was offered.

Education by osmosis is my preferred option

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Firmware Update for WIFI advanced II (Aircard 790s)

Hi - Great workaround discovery given the history in the previous post. Wondering if it worked due to the PDP change to IPV4V6 rather than the 'telstra.wap' change. Is there an ability to set APN 'telstra.internet' to PDP IPV4V6 as well? Can understand why WAP APN exists for older devices but unexpected that a WAP APN would be preferred by Telstra for this device.

hyppolyte

I believe the choice of PDP was the effective trigger for the update, with choice of APN incidental.

Thanks for your great reply which prompted me to look again at why I chose telstra.wap and led to further searches for information.

I am trying to set up my Nighthawk MR1100 for IPV6 but it has a limitation when attached to any home routers.

Notes from my Cloudflare research:

• I found that my mobile modem was set to telstra.internet IPV4 only. That my iPhone and iPad are on telstra.wap IPV6 dual. Telstra blog said IPV6 fully operational, but not to change telstra.internet. Which is fixed in modem and allows no change anyway. So I added telstra.wap with ipv4v6.
  • Then I found out from the Netgear Community: "Nighthawk M1 supports IPv6 on the WAN side and that you can receive an IPV6 address while connected to it, it does not support IPv6 on the LAN and blocks ICMPV6”.

The latest info I could find from Telstra was from an update of 2017:

ipv6-frequently-asked-questions 

I was also going off the fact that my iPhone and iPad had functioning IPV6 from telstra.wap.

So then I got the 790s out of cold storage and you know the result.

Today I found this information regarding the telstra.wap and telstra.internet futures: 

Telstra-kicks-off-next-stage-of-ipv6-shift-for-mobile-network 

Today I added telstra.internet PDP IPV4V6 to the MR1100 which allows multiple stored APNs and to the 790s which allows only one other than the fixed (uneditable) telstra.internet IPV4.

It looks like the full transition to IPV6 on telstra.wap hasn't reached my backwater yet.

Thanks to your comments, I believe that my Mobile Broadband devices will be better served on the telstra.internet IPV4V6 APN.

My next move is to get my Dovado ACPro out of it box and replace the NetgearD6220 home router, as the Dovado has full Wifi failover, to test whether the 790s has the same ICMP limitations.

Mkrtich

Thanks for the URL link for the Telstra FAQ. Yes, our iPhone 6  and 8 handsets are also set on 'telstra.wap' and are Dual Stacked according to  'ipv6.test-ipv6.com' test so you are not alone. Given Telstra may have over 20 million mobile users by now, I think we will remain like this for many years to come and older devices may not be require any changes for a long time. Telstra must have a methodology of assigning the APNs to 'telstra.wap' for some devices and 'telstra.internet' for others.

For example : On the Telstra Netgear V7610 Dual WAN modem connected with a special coded Huawei 4G E3872D USB Wingle (no Wi-Fi Hotspot or DHCP) - the 4G APN defaults to 'telstra.extranet' as it is associated with the Business Telstra DOT Service. I changed some settings in the modem and tested it as a standalone mobile broadband modem equipped with an Aldi SIM - also changed it to 'telstra.internet' - it worked fine.

The Dovado looks like an interesting and flexible unit. 

hyppolyte

I spent the afternoon setting up the Dovado Pro AC.

Wi-fi failover is great. Just unplug the M1 and it connects to the 790s.

It is altogether a pleasant device. The feature to use Google Maps for device location is particularly welcome as wifi-only iPads often cannot be located from our home.

No luck with the IPV6 either from the Nighthhawk M1 or the 790s in wi-fi failover.

Unfortunately Dovado has made the Pro AC end-of-life so firmware updates for it stop at August 2019.

With the Netgear D6220 recent updates for security issues are still coming through.

They both allow granular control of our home devices, PCs, Macs, Media Streaming etc. The D6220 wins on being able to selectively block our dumb smart TV. Plus it has a better app in Genie.

So tomorrow I will probably revert to the Netgear Router and use the Advanced II independently. I am grateful for the OTA update which resulted from my quest for IPV6.

Thanks for your insights into the APN selection issue.

Mkrtich

Thanks for your feedback. It's a good reference source for future readers. Cheers.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit