Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Fixed Wireless Broadband - Asus 4G-AC68U working in Brisbane but not Northern NSW

Just bought an Asus 4G-AC68U modem (after lots of research) and a Telstra Fixed Wireless Broadband Plan. Set it up in Brisbane and worked well. I'm now in Brooms Head in Northern NSW right next to a new Telstra Tower. My phone gets 4 bars and the Asus modem gets nothing. Many Youtube videos, two support calls to Asus (who suggest to return the router), update of firm ware and lots of trial and error I changed the PDP Type to IPv6. Now the modem recognises 4G and 'Mobile Broadband: Connected' but still not bars on the front of the modem and no internet. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What's different about 4G in Brisbane compared to Brooms Head 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Fixed Wireless Broadband - Asus 4G-AC68U working in Brisbane but not Northern NSW

Could be due to the Tower in your new location transmitting on a different frequency Asus 4G-AC68U that the  does not support. The Asus 4G-AC68U support the following mobile frequencies:

4G FDD-LTE: 800 /1800 /2100 /2600
4G TDD-LTE: 2600
3G UMTS: 900 /2100

Telstra uses 850 MHz for 3G and a large percentage of its towers use 700 MHz for 4G especially in remote locations.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Fixed Wireless Broadband - Asus 4G-AC68U working in Brisbane but not Northern NSW

The Telstra Tower at Brooms Head uses 850MHz for 3G and 700MHz for 4G, so your Asus 4G-AC68U will not see it as it doesn't have those radios.

In Brisbane, a lot of the towers use the 1800MHz 4G band, which is not generally used in country areas due to it's relatively short range compared to the 700MHz band.

The Asus 4G-AC68U is not a particularly good choice of modem for most regions of Australia.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thank you for those responses. It's great to have factual information and I can now stop trying to make this modem work. Do you know of any 4G modems that are well suited for regional areas? I can see some TP-Link models that have 700Mhz for 4G and 850Mhz for 3G as options. I assume that means they would work. 

Highlighted

The TP-Link ones would work. There's a D-Link DWR-921 (Hardware Version C3) that would also work and has the advantage of having external antennas.

You just need to make sure that they have 850MHz for 3G and 700MHz (with 900/1800/2100/2600MHz if available, the more the better). External antennas are also a good idea as you can replace them with larger antennas if required.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

If you want a cheap alternative you could by a cheap second hand Smart modem and replace the SIM with your own SIM. The APN in smart modem would need to be changed to telstra.internet and PDP to IPv4v6. The don't support 3G but support all 4G bands used by Telstra. I have seen Gen 1 smart modems for as little as $5 and gen 2 modems for as little as $20. The Gen 1 has the option for connecting external arials the gen 2 only has internal arials.

Highlighted

Thanks again for the responses. I took the easy option and found a D-Link DWR-921 4G LTE Router. Started it up and got 4G within minutes. Awesome! 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit