JDB3
Level 1: Cadet

How can we extend our mobile broadband wifi to to granny flat? Nighthawk M2

Hi, we'd like to extend our wifi coverage to include a granny flat on our property. At the moment we take the Nighthawk over to the flat as needed but this cuts the wifi at the main house. We need some kind of booster or extender, any recommendations?

I've chatted to Telstra a few times but I don't think they quite understand what I'm asking - they have suggested the Netgear Orbi 4GX Router with Satellite but I'm hesitant to switch devices again only for it to not work.

I think we may need an extender and a booster, so there's a consistent weak signal at the cottage that we can then boost. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How can we extend our mobile broadband wifi to to granny flat? Nighthawk M2

How far away from the house is the Granny Flat?

If you place the Nighthawk M2 in the room closest to the Granny Flat, do you get a useable signal at the Granny Flat? If not, then a Wifi repeater is not going to be effective.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
JDB3
Level 1: Cadet

That’s my concern @Jupiter , we do get a very weak signal at the flat and it’s very close (less than 10m) but lots of trees around the house so I’m not sure it’d be “enough” - we’d definitely need the repeater on the house side of the flat. Do you have any product recommendations?

Jupiter

Have a look at the Outdoor Wireless Access Points that Kogan sells. You will need to be able to run an ethernet cable to it.

outdoor wifi access point - Kogan.com

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit