Janie13
Level 2: Rookie

How do I change the time on my mobile broadband hotspot device?

I went into Telstra shop who told me to go to m.home but cannot get anything when I type that in

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
Dowser
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Re: How do I change the time on my mobile broadband hotspot device?

Try http://telstra.gateway/ or http://mygateway/ or http://192.168.0.1/

Janie13

Tried this but it wouldn't let me log on till I closed down the device. I tried again but then got nothing until I switched the device back on. The message I kept getting after that was 'this site could not be reached'9. Thanks for the advice but I am so pissed off with this device and Telstra in general. While I am happy with my mobile phone with them, having had NBN and cancelling that and now trying this mobile hotspot device which won't let me change the incorrect time, I am over Telstra's crappy internet service. Will never use Telstra again after all this frustration. They have no customer service at all, so sick of the text/online chat, takes far too long to get any help at all. Not good enough considering the cost of their 'service'. 

Dowser

Thanks Janie,

would you please provide the name and model number of the device r. A picture could help too.

By the way, how does the incorrect time affect your usage?.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

The device needs to be on to access the GUI and you need to be connected to that device (by wi-fi or a USB connection)..

As per @Dowser , what is the device, what are you using to connect to it and how are connecting to it. The device will probably have a setting to get the time from the network or a time server..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - Alternatives to http://m.home - if it is a Telstra Huawei device, they usually use 192.168.8.1 , Netgear  192.168.1.1 and ZTE 192.168.0.1. If you still can't access the modem, suggest to check your Web Browser and go to Settings to Clear Cookies and Data Cache files to see if that flushes out whatever is confusing the attempted connection. 

Janie13

Telstra Telstra 4GX Hotspot Blue front view

Dowser

That appears to be a TELSTRA 4GX WI-FI HOTSPOT, made by ZTE.

The user manual (from their website) states the following:

WEB INTERFACE, MODEM HOMEPAGE
 Connect any device to the modem and open a browser.
 Enter m.home or 192.168.0.1 in the browser address bar to open the modem
homepage.
 The default login password is ‘password’

By the way, as an alternative,  I would have thought that it would pick up the time automatically from the mobile network. Try opening the cover & removing the battery for a few minutes then replace it & power the unit back up.

Mkrtich

This is a ZTE MF985T marketed by Telstra as a 4GX Hotspot - a fast CAT 12 modem. If you are able to connect to the Internet , the modem should auto synchronise to an Internet Network Time Server as used by Telstra. Have you tried the web access to 192.168.0.1 and entered the default Password using 'password' to access the admin screens in case there is a setting not shown in the User Manual. I couldn't see any menu options in the User Manual that show Network Time Servers, so assume it does it automatically.

The only suggestion I have is to take it with you a Telstra shop and ask them if there is reason why it is not showing accurate time.    

Mkrtich

Sorry Dowser - didn't see your post when typing mine. 

Janie13

Have accessed that and there is absolutely nowhere which allows me to change the time. Very frustrating that the time is wrong. What sort of dodgy device is this.

Dowser

Did you attempt removing the battery as suggested?.

By how much is the time in error?.

Besides the time issue, does the unit function correctly as a data hotspot?.

Janie13

I went to my local Testra shop to ask them and the bloke there was so rude to me that I left the store in distress. Will not go back there again, now have to wait till I can get to another store. 

SteveW_52

From 

https://ztemobiles.com.au/wp-content/uploads/downloads/User_guides/MF985T_Help_PDF.pdf

it looks like you are correct about the Time setting not being available. it is probably being picked up automatically from the network but sounds like it still might not be right for your location? unless you are in a border area..  how far out is the time from your location?

There could be a firmware update available - I don't have an example of that modem but others from the manufacturer do have the timezone setting so it is curious, maybe a Telstra nominated solution?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Janie13

It is 30mins out and I live on the outskirts of Adelaide.

Dowser

It would be helpful if you performed the suggested tests, and answered the questions posed to you.

Janie13

I have performed all the tests and have been answering the questions I have done everything that has been suggested. It seems that you just cannot change the time on the device which to me is ridiculous.

Dowser

I previously asked:

Did you attempt removing the battery as suggested?.

Besides the time issue, does the unit function correctly as a data hotspot?.

And now, do you have a Telstra mobile, and if so, does it pick up the correct time from the mobile network?.

- my iPhone has a setting to automatically pick up the network time.

Janie13

Yes have tried everything. My mobile is the correct time, my smart TV is the correct time, my laptop is the correct time. The only thing not showing the correct time is this mobile internet device. When considering the cost of the device I expect to at least be able to get the correct time on it. 

Mkrtich

It's annoying when you don't get professional service and get served by rude people. A few years ago, one of my friends got the right royal muck around with Telstra trying to unlock his ZTE device after he acquired the Unlock code from Telstra. Nothing suggested with multiple telephone calls to the contact centre worked. He finally called ZTE direct and had the matter resolved in 5 minutes. 

The user manual has has an Australian telephone number for ZTE support - you may wish to try them tomorrow to see if they can help. It is 1300 789 475. Hope the mystery is solved.

Dowser

@Janie13 wrote:

It is 30mins out and I live on the outskirts of Adelaide.

Please go to the web interface again and check for a software update.

Even though it’s a Telstra product, the issue could be related to the software on the unit, which is produced by ZTE, which could be interpreting your time zone incorrectly.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

@Janie13 I back the suggestion by @Mkrtich about calling ZTE. They have really upped their game recently in the Customer Support stakes and if they can't find a way to fix it for you now, I'm sure that they will provide the feedback to their firmware development team.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Janie13

Have done that several times and it just tells me that is up to date

Dowser

@Janie13 wrote:

Have done that several times and it just tells me that is up to date

Then I concur with the recommendation by  @Mkrtich and @Jupiter regarding you contacting ZTE, armed with the situation knowledge that you have.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit