Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

how to unlock pre paid internet router

Hi all,

I have a pre paid mobile internet router. I ran out of credit and a friend offered to lend me her sim which was not a Telstra sim. The router would not accept the sim. Does this mean the service is locked to only Telstra sims and can it be unlocked.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: how to unlock pre paid internet router

Yes, most prepaid devices from Telstra are locked to their network (SIM)..

They can be unlocked, but at a cost.. I think $100 for devices less than 6 months  and $27.50 for the older ones

If you can find the device in your My Account or through the My Telstra app, you can try the Manage my plan..  link and see if there is an option to get the unlock code..

If not, you'll have to go through the My Telstra app, Help and click on the blue chat bubble..  type Unlock and then wait - it might take a while to get a response...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: how to unlock pre paid internet router

Hi Jen561,

Yes, the Pre-Paid mobile broadband device is locked to Telstra.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/mobiles-devices/puk-code-imei-unlock-phone

You could try calling Telstra on 132200 and choose the "Technical" option. If they can't help they should be able to transfer you to someone who can.

If this doesn't work you’ll need to send a message via the My Telstra App (blue icon in the Get Help section, bottom right of the screen).

You'll see the below wording in the above link:

You can unlock your Telstra Pre-Paid mobile, iPhone or mobile broadband devices so they work on another network. If your service has been active for over two years, we don’t charge an unlocking fee, but if your service has been active for less than two years, we charge: 

• $80 for devices that have never been activated, or active for six months or less
  • $25 for devices activated for six months to two years 
I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit