Owen45
Level 1: Cadet

Huawei B525

Hi, I'm a newbie and looking for some advice.

I am currently using the Optus Home Wireless Broadband service with an Optus supplied Huawei B525 modem. I have struck congestion issues with the Optus network and looking at alternate options (not NBN).

My question is: Can I use the Huawei B525 with a Telstra supplied sim?

Thanks in advance.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Huawei B525

You should confirm that the Telstra tower you would likely us (nearest maybe) has the right bands that the modem will support..

https://devicehelp.optus.com.au/huawei/b525-mac-os-mojave/  or

https://devicehelp.optus.com.au/huawei/b525-windows-10/

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

I have one of those modems but never tried a Telstra SIM, I will do that in a short while and report back...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Owen75
Level 1: Cadet

Have now signed up for Telstra Mobile Broadband. Purchased a TP-Link router (MR6400). Now achieving in excess of 50Mbps download,so very satisfied. Beats the 0.5Mbps dished up by the congested Optus Network.

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - in case of any future requirements, the Huawei B525 is not locked to Optus. I have put an Aldi SIM (powered by Telstra) in one last year. It's a Cat 6 4G LTE modem with 802.11ac Wi-Fi support. 

SteveW_52

It works fine on Telstra, but still check that your local tower has the bands you need for the B525

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit