antonino
Level 2: Rookie

Latest IPv6 Information for 4G

Does Telstra provide any data or information about the rollout of IPv6 especially with 4G Mobile Broadband. I am struggling to get IPv6 working and was looking for any information on IPv6 configurations with 4G Mobile Broadband. I want to avoid CGNAT and use a IPv6 address that is routable and accessible from anywhere. Basically I need to access equipment remotely and getting an IPv4 Public IP is just getting too hard. Hence why I am trying to get IPv6 working. I am using a Teltonika 4G Router in Bridge Mode with a Firewall having the Public IPv6 address on the WAN interface. Please can anyone shed some light on the progress of IPv6 rollout and configuration?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Latest IPv6 Information for 4G

All Telstra mobile links are IPv6 enable. The modem has to request an IPv6 address. Usually in the mobile settings of the modem there is a PDP Type setting with the following options IPv4, IPv6. IPv4/IPv6. Selecting IPv6 or IPv4/IPv6 will request a IPv6 address from the Telstra server. I can't seem to find a PDP setting in the Teltonika 4G Router manual.

antonino

Thank you for your reply,

My Firewall will do the request for IPv6 address via SLAAC. The Teltonika is in bridge mode (acting as a modem) and yes it will have the APN details. I will check the Teltonika settings regarding to PDP.

Do you know if Telstra supply any specific configuration for obtaining an IPv6 address using either SLAAC or DHCPv6?

cf4

I don't the specific configuration that Telstra use for obtaining an IPv6 address.

antonino

Can anyone from Telstra confirm settings for IPv6 when using SLAAC or DHCPv6? 

Reggie4806
Level 4: Private Eye

I have a 4G android mobile with dual stack. Both my IPv4 (10.x.x.x) and IPv6 (2001:8004:: ) addresses show with
  ip address show permanent

but not with
  ip address show dynamic

I believe this indicates they are assigned by DHCPv6 not SLAAC. But how about you try both and let us know?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit