CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

MF60 won't connect to computer

Hi, I have recently purchased a MF60 wifi pre-paid modem. I am having trouble getting it to connect to the internet. My computer will pick up the device via wireless, it asks for the security key, after I have entered the security key it comes up with a error message "wireless authentication failed because of time out". I am running windows vista. I have read another post saying the modem doesn't like vista, I followed a link to a microsoft fix which did not work at all. I have rung Telstra twice, get put throught to overseas call centre, to be honest they don't have a clue what they are doing or saying. I know the modem works because it will connect fine to my TV and my mobile.

Can anyone help ?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: MF60 won't connect to computer

try disabling security (as a test), can you connect to it from your computer ok then?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Highlighted

I don't have the option on TV to change the settings of the modem and on my mobile cant access all of the settings page of the modem, might have to try from someone else's computer, either that or install XP.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You could try a factory reset on the modem, while powered on hold down the side two buttons together until the screen says resetting. Also, it may be worth telling vista to forget all the details for the wifi network too before reconnecting (control panel>network and sharingcenter>manage wireless networks (sidepanel)>right click on network name and select remove network)
Has the computer had any difficulties connecting to other wifi networks at all? if you're not sure, If your phone has the ability to create a wifi hotspot can you try connect the computer to it and see if it has the same difficulty?
let me know how you go Smiley Happy
Josh | Tech Expert |
Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
Highlighted

hi,

i have tried the reset on the modem and have already removed the networks (manage wireless network) still no luck. my phone can create a wi fi hotspot, connected it to my computer ok, only problem is don't know how to connect to the modem. i have tried everything i know. getting a bit frustrating.

computer's wifi works fine, just connecting to the mf60 is the problem

Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

Not sure if Vista likes it, but can you try connecting with WPS at all?

Should be a case of pushing the WPS button and finding the connection on the PC.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Ok, got the modem to connect to my mobile phone no worries (as a hot spot) changed the security around on the modem and my computer will connect, but with no security. This has been a frustrating experience, what amazes me is that on the side of the box it says vista compatible ??? But really isn't.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit