Tattycat
Level 4: Private Eye

Mobile b/band modem model E8372h-320

Purchased new modem above

When installing it would not accept the security code.

Additionally when trying again the auto run.exe file had disappeared from the screen. 

I need VERY EASY TO FOLLOW

STEP BY STEP instructions to fix 

Thank you 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Mobile b/band modem model E8372h-320

Hi - did you use 'admin' for User ID and 'admin' for Password to access the modem's screens or were you rejected from accessing the modem's WiFi network by incorrectly entering the WiFi password printed on the sticker. Suggest you safely eject USB from your PC or if you have it connected at a USB Wall power adapter turn it OFF. Then restart the device again and see if it auto loads the welcome screen for you to enter the admin access password. If that doesn't work, there is a factory Reset Button inside the case which needs to be pressed for at least 2-5 seconds with power ON and then try to access it again. 

This Canadian version of the Huawei manual is well written. 

https://images.wirelessdealer.ca/images/phones/userguide3967.pdf 

Tattycat

The computer or the USB I don't know which will not accept the password as printed on the card 

I have followed the instructions 

Worse still I now cannot reconnect my older modem and now have no internet whatsoever 

Mkrtich

Hi - I did not pick up on the typo in the heading of your original post - I take it you actually have the Huawei E3372h and not the E8372h which has Wi-Fi Hotspot. When you connect the USB stick into your PC or Laptop, what is the colour and condition of the LED on the cover - e.g. 4G Cyan solid or blinking. Once I put a SIM in the wrong way into an E8372h and it took me a while to work out that is why I had no connection. Make sure you eject the USB before you withdraw it and not remove the SIM with power ON.

Would you confirm that the access information on the card would be to get into the E3372h's Administration pages and does not mention any Wi-Fi Name and Wi-Fi Password. Did you try a Factory Reset to reset the unit to Default settings.  

If your PC/Laptop has a LAN cable connected to a modem or has an established Wi-Fi link to the modem, can you remove or disconnect Wi-Fi first and then try again with the USB E3372h. Check the LED colour against the Quick Start Guide - let us know what colour you are seeing after a few minutes in case it is doing an update. If no improvement, you may have a faulty unit that requires an exchange for a replacement.  

Your PC may still be 'glued' to the IP address of the Huawei USB which can occur when connecting PC to different modems. With the USB formally ejected, you can Restart the PC and then Open your Web Browser

Chrome/Edge - Go to Settings/Privacy/Clear Browsing Data/Choose What to Clear/ select Cookies and Cached Files.  

Safari - Settings and find Clear Cookies and Cached Data

Tattycat

1.   Huawei E8372h-320

2.   4G Cyan solid

3.  When I insert USB I get Telstra welcome page 

Enter password

4. Says password incorrect

5.cannot alter any computer settings because I have no internet service. Totally reliant on mobile broadband 

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

There is an app for Android at least that will let you connect to that USB device which is a 'wingle' (Wi-Fi connectivity)

Is the modem plugged into a port on the computer you are using?

What is the address you get with the Telstra Welcome page? To get to the modem itself you can use huawei.setup or 192.168.8.1 (defaults) which you enter into the address bar of the browser you are using..

The default username and password for those devices is admin/admin to get to the modem GUI (you don't need the internet to see that)

If it is the Wi-Fi credentials - the default SSID and Key is in very small print on a label under the slide off cover..  so you can try that . You don't need to plug the modem into your device, it will power up if just plugged into a USB port on a charger or another device.. then you connect to the modem by Wi-Fi using the credentials mentioned above..

If things have changed from default, there is a small reset button under the cover..  with the modem plugged into to a USB port press and hold that reset switch for at least 2 seconds then release it.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

Can you remember if the security code requested was perhaps for the SIM card? That could be 0000 or the last 4 digits of the SIM number (printed on the SIM and NOT the mobile number.. I have a couple of those devices but can't recall the initial setup steps..  one of them has never been plugged directly into a PC anyway - only used in a charger (can usually find a power point in a better reception spot than where I want to use the laptop or other device).

If you have the USB plugged into a PC/Laptop, you can use File Explorer or similar, to view the files on the USB device, autorun should be in the root folder, but would only need to be run once in most cases but only if it is directly plugged into your device.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Tattycat

1.you are trying to help a fun fun. Wingle ?

2.i plug it into my laptop running Windows 10

3 telstra browser welcome page days

192.168.1.1/HTML/guide.html version w22 .00134.01.03

4. Laptop now telling me Huawei_935B connection secured 

5.call up browser Bing and or Google says not connected

Mkrtich

May I ask, when you acquired the modem, did you purchase a new Telstra Pre-Paid Data Pack SIM or have you subscribed to a Post Paid Data SIM plan. Have you activated the SIM on line through a Telstra Portal process using a mobile phone associated with your account using the My Telstra App. There may be a four digit PIN number that you would have to create that is associated with securing the App on your phone so that other people can not access your Data Plan details if you are away from the phone or the USB stick is stolen. I would expect an activation is required with Pre-Paid but I have no experience with Post Paid - both would need a PIN on the mobile Phone App. for your security.

Wondering if this is the same security challenge you are being presented with in case someone else tries to access your Data Plan via the PC if you are absent from the room. Solid Cyan means you are connected to 4G. The computer changes suggested above to the Browser do not require Internet Access. I couldn't find any Huawei Information on an E8372h-320. If you only have one LED on the cover, it would not have a WiFi function - I have only seen E3372h-320 but the information on that may be an overseas model.

SteveW_52

https://images.wirelessdealer.ca/images/phones/userguide3967.pdf

or

https://www.eurodk.lv/files/catalogue/3049/qsg2266333huaweie8372h3204gusbmodem-5faa56c01872a.pdf

I also have an Aussie version on disk, but pretty much the same..  not sure if a user MANUAL is available..

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Wingle = Wi-Fi Dongle  =  a USB modem that has a router and Wi-Fi built-in..

According to the documentation the default IP is 192.168.8.1 but my user guide is quite old (and I very rarely use defaults anyway)..  but it sounds like it is working correctly..

That address would seem like the Help pages for the modem?

If you close the Telstra browser and open Bing/Chrome - type that 192.168.1.1 IP address into the address box then press Enter, you should get to the modem GUI..  you will need to log in to go further, that should be admin/admin unless it has been changed..  from the GUI (Graphic User Interface) you should be able to see other information, including details about your connection..  this is where it gets interesting..  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Mkrtich

Thanks for the links. I have a Telstra Huawei E8372h-608 with three exceptionally small LEDs on the front cover which would qualify for a Spec Savers test at 3 metres Smiley Happy - one of the LEDS is for WiFi. The overseas E3372h-320 and another Australian version E3372h-608 (Optus) Quick Start Guide only has one LED which is elongated and easier to see, that is why I was curious about the LED on the model in question. There may be a new version of the E3372h-320 in Australia? I am inclined to think the security issue is with the PIN code for the SIM and not a WiFi network, if it exists, as the USB stick is connected to the PC and if the PIN has not been created during Activation process, it may be the Gatekeeper. Not sure. 

SteveW_52

Agree..  I did mention the SIM pin earlier..  but if the OP can get into the GUI the PIN security can be disabled..

Stevo 52
Tattycat

Thanks a lot 

I have got it working 

Mkrtich

Glad to read you are connected. For the record, it may assist others by confirming if your E3372h indeed has WiFi and how you eventually got the connected to the Internet.

@SteveW_52  it was an interesting exercise in troubleshooting - its good to eventually have the mysteries solved by having multiple perspectives and inputs. Cheers

Tattycat

Well I thought it was working. I got an email from telstra saying good to go 

But when I went it did not work.

Was told to contact tech via my Telstra app. Been waiting over two hours now for a response 

SteveW_52

Can I ask how you got it working?

I notre you last message saying it had stopped working again? That's not good..

Stevo 52
Tattycat

Telstra responded to a tweet I put out.  They got me to use my mobile to get activation 

It worked and I got an email from telstra saying exactly that

When I went to use my laptop Google say not connected

Still trying to get action from telstra.vis their 

"We don't talk to you anymore" 

Technical computer system 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit