Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Mobile broadband device

My Friend has given me a Bigpond WI-FI 4G advanced model (NETGEAR SIERRA Aircard 782S Modem)

As I understood that this device was used on a post paid plan, my question is that can this device be used with a pre-paid sim card?

I have rang up the custormer service and after quite a while and about three transfers i was told that this couldn't be used with a pre-paid sim card which i find hard to beleive.

Thanks in advance

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Mobile broadband device

Hi Trent, as long as it's a Telstra pre-paid data sim, YES you'll be right to go.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The BigPond modems are designed to work with the BigPond plans... they are optimised and have different firmware which is used to best work with these plans... in theory it could be unlocked to work with pre-paid however it is likely that issues will occur so they usually will not say yes it can...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Trent, I should have added, my grandson here uses the same unit, which was previously mine on post paiud, and uses it with the pre-paid. The reason, he was using too much of my allowance ... Lol. so we changed him over to that unit with a pre-paid data sim that slipped straight in and worked straight off.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

Highlighted

Trent, just in case you haven't got the complete user manual for this unit, you can view and download it here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/aircard/AC782S_Telstra/2400353%20AC782S%20User%20Guide%20rev-...

Signature.gif

Highlighted

I'd also point you to page 66  of that Telstra user manual for the device which shows the following:

If you use a pre-paid or pay-as-you-go SIM, make sure the account has a positive balance.

Signature.gif

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Jeff you have been a great help.

This may be a silly question but I just bought a $2 starter sim pack from Woolies is there any difference to that sim and a data sim?

Highlighted

Hmmm, Woolies just recently changed their sims and offerings.

It would need to be clearly marked as a Telstra starter sim pack, and I think that would be more a sim kit for a mobile phone.

I'd really reccomend you get the proper DATA sim card from a Telstra store if you can and take that back. As I said the Woolies Coles starter and Aldi starter packs are meant to include so many call values, clearly something I don't think you'd be looking for with that device.

Take a look at the following link, this is the type of sim pack you need: https://www.telstra.com.au/tablets/prepaid-for-tablets

Whilst they call it a Tablet sim, it should be called a Data Sim by rights.

Signature.gif

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit