Matthew_
Level 2: Rookie

Mobile broadband modem providing Wi-Fi signal when out of mobile range

Answered

I am looking for a mobile broadband modem that broadcasts a virtual Wi-Fi signal that is accessible even when no mobile reception is available. I would like to be able to connect to my Wi-Fi dependent speaker and play music stored locally on my iPhone via AirPlay when outside of mobile range. Is there a product that supports this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Mobile broadband modem providing Wi-Fi signal when out of mobile range

All the ones that I know of generate there own WiFi signal. There are USB Mobile Modems that don't have WiFi and only provide Internet to the device there connected to but these USB modems want have state they are WiFi mobile modems. They will be marked as USB mobile modems.

There are also WiFi 4G modems that have there own battery that are only slightly dearer than a USB Mobile WiFi stick.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
cf4

All the mobile wifi modems that I know off will still broadcast a wifi signal when there is no mobile network available. You could also use the WiFi Hotspot on your phone.
Matthew_

Thanks. I was told at a Telstra store that mobile broadband modems rely on internet connectivity and the presence of an active SIM in order to broadcast a Wi-Fi signal and I didn't think this sounded accurate. I have successfully tested this using a 4G hotspot but music can only be played via AirPlay from a second device that is connected to the hotspot signal and also the hotspot signal can be prone to dropouts. I think the mobile broadband modem solution is a better one. Is the purpose of the USB connection that comes with mobile broadband modems only to provide a power source for the device? I am wondering whether a laptop or desktop computer is a necessary part of this solution or whether the modem can simply be plugged into a USB power adapter?

cf4

If the USB modem has WiFi it can be just plugged into a USB power source. I have use a 4GX + WiFi USB stick plugged into a usb power brick to provide a mobile WiFi signal for a tablet.

Matthew_

Do some of these modems rely on a USB connection to a computer and use the computer's Wi-Fi adapter to generate a Wi-Fi signal and others generate their own signal independent of a computer?

cf4
Accepted Solution

All the ones that I know of generate there own WiFi signal. There are USB Mobile Modems that don't have WiFi and only provide Internet to the device there connected to but these USB modems want have state they are WiFi mobile modems. They will be marked as USB mobile modems.

There are also WiFi 4G modems that have there own battery that are only slightly dearer than a USB Mobile WiFi stick.

View solution in original post

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

This is a public forum, you should not post any personal information here..  and that looks like an account number..  it needs to be deleted..  and instead, perhaps say what your issue is?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

Again, this is a public forum, you should not post any personal information here..  and that looks like an account number..  it needs to be deleted..  and instead, perhaps say what your issue is? Start a new message, don't piggy back on another one even if it might be related

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit