JHendo
Level 2: Rookie

Mobile broadband wifi extender

Answered

Does anyone know if the telstra mobile broadband device (little black box!) can connect to a wifi extender throughout the house? I currently have Tenda Nova boxes (which I used for our previous home internet - which was via satellite) and so I'd like to use these if I can. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Mobile broadband wifi extender

Get a 2nd hand Gen 2 Telstra Smartmodem. It will be $$$ cheaper (you can buy one delivered for around $50) and the setup will be much simpler.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Jupiter

Which model modem is it (there are a number of them - but it sounds like one of the Nighthawks)?

If it is one of the Nighthawks, you should be able to plug the Ethernet port of the Nighthawk into the Wan Port of the Nova.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
JHendo

Thank you for taking the time to read my question. 

The device could be an issue. I have an old mobile broadband device that Telstra said would be fine to use - no need to purchase a new one as 5g isn't available in our area. My device is a Bigpond Mobile wifi 4g, think model AC7605. IT IS The only ports seem to be usb port & 2 external antenna connectors... 

Jupiter

Unfortunately, the Tenda Nova Mesh Routers require that the Primary Node be connected to the internet using an Ethernet (WAN) port, so the only way that you would be able to use the USB dongle would be to buy a router that it could be plugged in to and then the router would be plugged in to the Nova.

JHendo

Ahhh I did actually ask Telstra & they said that I would be able to connect to the Nova wirelessly 

Jupiter

Not sure how. Did they look up the documentation on the Nova? I've read the instructions on all the Nova mesh products and none of them mention being able to connect the primary node to a modem wirelessly.

They all say "Use the included Ethernet cable to connect a LAN port of your modem or the Ethernet jack to the WAN/LAN port of any node. This node is your primary node.". 

JHendo

Mmmm well there's your answer! So what do you suggest - usb cable from mobile broadband device into a router which is linked to the primary node.

If this is correct, I don't suppose you can help advise a router to purchase as I am not overly tech savvy!!! 

cf4

If you only want to connect to Telstra 4G suggest you buy a second hand Telstra Gen 1 or Gen 2 smart modem. These modems have 4G backup.  A normal Telstra broadband SIM can be installed in these devices and the can be configured to connect to the normal Telstra 4G network. There is video here on how to configure modems for 4G.

Jupiter

The suggestion that @cf4 makes is a good one. You can pick them up off of eBay or Gumtree for practically nothing.

Just check that the towers near you use the 700MHz LTE band (most do). Type your address in to rfnsa.com.au and then click on the nearest couple of Telstra towers and it will tell you what they use.

cf4

The modems also support 4G bands 3 (1800 MHz) and 7 (2800 MHz).

JHendo

Thank you @cf4 for response. My thing is I already have the Tenda Nova system & I am wanting to use this to extend the signal throughout the home. Sorry if I have misunderstood. Are you suggesting I purchase a Telstra Gen 1 or 2 modem as that will be easier to connect to my Tenda nova system than the mobile broadband device will? 

cf4

Yes it will be easier to connect the Telstra smart modem to the Tenda Nova system as the Telstra smart modem has 4 LAN ports. The WiFi on the smart modem can be turned off.

The only other option is to buy a WiFi router that has a WiFi bridge function or WiFi extender that has a ethernet port. The WiFi extender would connect to your existing 4G modem via WiFi and the nova extender would connect to a LAN port on the router or the Ethernet port of the WiFi extender.

There is also the option of buying a 4G or 5G modem that has an ethernet port. These can be very expensive.

Jupiter

Yes. The Telstra Smartmodem has a LAN port that you can connect to the WAN port of the Tenda Nova. You put your SIM into the Smartmodem and it will connect to Telstra's mobile network (as long as you follow the instructions in the video link that @cf4 posted)..

JHendo

Thank you @Jupiter, so you would suggest purchasing a Telstra smartmodem instead of using the mobile broadband device that I currently have?

You did mention connecting my mobile broadband device to my primary Nova would be possible, I just need a router. Do you know if one exists? If so, are you able to send me a link? I'll just have to weigh up buying the router vs buying the telstra smartmodem. 

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Get a 2nd hand Gen 2 Telstra Smartmodem. It will be $$$ cheaper (you can buy one delivered for around $50) and the setup will be much simpler.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit